First Broody Hen and New Chicks

Sportsman94

Chirping
Mar 24, 2021
Central Georgia
I have a hen that started off broody yesterday. Hasnt been out of the nesting box since yesterday afternoon. I also have some new chicks on order set to come in next week. Is there a process for trying to get her to raise these chicks or is it not worth it? I could see the advantages being not having to integrate them in to the flock at a later date, but is it realistic to expect her to take in say 8 or so chicks?

Usually this works best when your broody has been brooding close to the 21 day period nature provides before she will see chicks. At least 2 weeks. Your broody will only have one week.
I usually let my broody sit on some golf balls until the chicks arrive. After darkness, I remove the fake eggs and put chicks under her. When morning comes she accepts them as hers like she had hatched them overnite.
Broodys that are not ready, sometimes attack and kill chicks

Agreed with 50-45-1.

I've only ever let my broody incubate hatching eggs, but her hormones won't be in the right place if she only just started. I don't know that I'd pop chicks on a not tried and true mother either as you just don't know how she'll react.

Integration is easier, but I've also noticed integration gets easier over time when a flock is used to new editions too. My last was a lone POL and she slotted right in.

Also, my broody-reared chicks are never as tame as my brooder-raised chicks, even when handled constantly.

This time, I've been a little late on the ball and my broody is almost 3 weeks in, so will be incubating for the first time unaided.

The hard part is over with these little ones; bin them and let them grow up calling you momma!

Do any of yall know if broodiness is contagious? If one goes, does it entice others to be broody as well? We had one chicken go missing right around the time the other one went broody. I havent tromped through the woods looking, and it could very well be predator related. I have seen hawks flying over, raccoon tracks, etc. Just wondering if the odds are likely that one is just broody off in the woods right now

Well, an update on the missing hen. She showed back up about a week and a half after disappearing. I suspect she had a nest in the woods. The pond behind the coop overflowed and I am assuming destroyed the nest so she came back to the coop.

Glad she's back but sad that she probably lost the nest.

Agreed with 50-45-1.

I've only ever let my broody incubate hatching eggs, but her hormones won't be in the right place if she only just started. I don't know that I'd pop chicks on a not tried and true mother either as you just don't know how she'll react.

Integration is easier, but I've also noticed integration gets easier over time when a flock is used to new editions too. My last was a lone POL and she slotted right in.

Also, my broody-reared chicks are never as tame as my brooder-raised chicks, even when handled constantly.

This time, I've been a little late on the ball and my broody is almost 3 weeks in, so will be incubating for the first time unaided.

The hard part is over with these little ones; bin them and let them grow up calling you momma!
I've had the opposite experience with hand raised versus broody.

Granted, this is only my second year, but out of 5 batches of chicks, 3 hand raised and 2 broody. The broody babies integrated in to the flock better and have a better understanding of pecking order. Momma had them eating out of my hand day 1. They greet me when I go into the run, and are respectful of my space when I'm in the run. I would call them polite and curious.

The hand raised ones had problems integrating and making bonds with others in the flock. Everything is a challenge with them. They fly on to me when I am working in the run and have no regard for my space.

Sometimes I wonder if the broody makes the all difference. At hatch time, I will go out and check to see if there's chicks, and momma will stand up when asked. No joke. She taught them that I bring treats, and that I was okay. Some people might have more people suspicious broodies that raise people suspicious babies.

I've had the opposite experience with hand raised versus broody.

Granted, this is only my second year, but out of 5 batches of chicks, 3 hand raised and 2 broody. The broody babies integrated in to the flock better and have a better understanding of pecking order. Momma had them eating out of my hand day 1. They greet me when I go into the run, and are respectful of my space when I'm in the run. I would call them polite and curious.

The hand raised ones had problems integrating and making bonds with others in the flock. Everything is a challenge with them. They fly on to me when I am working in the run and have no regard for my space.

Sometimes I wonder if the broody makes the all difference. At hatch time, I will go out and check to see if there's chicks, and momma will stand up when asked. No joke. She taught them that I bring treats, and that I was okay. Some people might have more people suspicious broodies that raise people suspicious babies.
My broody and her broody box sisters were all had raised from week-old chicks and were very human friendly/cuddly.

With her hatches, we only kept two - one Dorking and an SLW. The Dorking was skittish, but mellowed down when she came into lay. The SLW has always been very averse to handling, but I'm starting to think it's a breed trait.

We have Orpingtons and campines in the incubator now, hoping to get them as social as our hand-raised shavers, which have all passed over the winter. Our flock is at 3 right now and will be keeping the best 3 of the hatch, so hopefully, won't have too much trouble with integration. My youngest is very spirited and I could see her causing problems, but maybe since the flock's so small ATM, she'll be more welcoming? That's what I'm hoping, at least. With my broody sitting air, it's pretty much only her and the SLW right now.

Back
Top Bottom