First candling and I don't see anything :(

SophieLain127

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
So today makes day seven, I candled and didn't see any veins, also noticed about 6 of my 17 eggs are really porous which made it kind of hard to tell anything. I did notice that some of them have little dark shadows towards the one side where the air sac is. Is it possible that because I have brown eggs I won't be able to tell such detail as veins? I used a 3 led flashlight on brown eggs.

Do you think a more powerful flashlight would be more successful? I'm going to leave them in because I don't want to give up just yet. I'm going to try candling again on Sunday day 11 to see if there is any change.

Wait til day 10 before even considering tossing them. A clear egg is pretty easy to see by then. It is clear, no dark to it. If your egg has some dark by day 7 it is probably good.
The dark eggs are really difficult to tell and the best way is time. If those Marans eggs don't stay clear then they are developing. The darker they get inside (not counting the air cell) the better! Same with the blue eggs.

That's why I'm going to wait. There is some dark blob by the air sack so I'm hoping it means there is a chick in there. I might try a more powerful light next time.

If I may suggest a really easy candler , a lamp with no shade and a black pot that you get from a plant washed out of course they usally have a hole on the bottom if they have holes on the sides get some black electrical tape to cover them you hold the pot over the light bulb and put your egg on the hole and walah easy as that , and pretty much free , I have one and this is how I candle my eggs make sure the room is dark you can see the inside of the egg better that way too. hope this helps and good luck with your eggs
jumpy.gif

I always candle down from the top.....I think it's much easier to see the veining and the air cell that way. Just hold the light on the top of the egg and shine the light down into the egg.

Back
Top Bottom