First Chicken Bath!

kla37

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Hillsborough, NC USA
This evening I gave a bath to a chicken for the very first time! I checked a lot of posts here for advice and it was all very helpful. I had images in my head of an angry crazed wet chicken running around my house screeching, but it was honestly the EASIEST creature I have ever bathed. Including dogs, cats, horses, and kids! I had warm soapy water waiting in the tub, and when I put her in it, she didn't know what was going on, and when I started rubbing her, she just sort of melted into the water. I actually had to hold her up with one hand so she wouldn't slip under, and she made quiet contented chicken noises. Then I wrapped her in a towel and rubbed her down. When I used the hairdryer on her, she actually fell asleep! When I turned it off, she would look at me and trill, and settle back into nap mode when I turned it back on. Then she just hung out in the bathroom with me preening and fluffing herself for about an hour, I did one last round with the hairdryer and then she went back to the coop! I still can't believe it was so easy, and I love that I could read about it on here first! I was by myself, so I couldn't take any pictures. I wanted her clean since she is going to visit my kid's school tomorrow morning for a brief visit. I hope to get pictures of that. She is the sweetest girl ever! A buff orpington, and my kid's favorite.

What a sweet story. Mine are only 5 weeks, cochins. I filled the tub with enough water to cover their feet and they loved it. Afterwards, their feathers were so pretty and fluffy. I agree, the easiest pet I ever washed. This is our first time having chickens. After 1 week, I became addicted. I am so sad, though, because our city will only allow me to have 2. We are within 50 feet of a school. Had I known.......

love.gif
Such sweetness! What a good chicken mommy!!

We just built a new deck and we're getting it plumbed to have a big outdoor utility sink. It'll be the perfect place to give them baths! The chicken I gave the bath to was busy laying an egg at the time I had to leave to go to the school, so I brought our blue cochin instead. She was great! She loved all the raisins and dried mealworms I brought for the kids to give her!

Back
Top Bottom