First chicks

Alumentum

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
Fernandina Beach Florida
So, I got a reply from my city manager and mom finally and the answer is yes : D hurays.

Now I'm wondering, what kind of chickens should I get? I'd like some that lay a good number of eggs but, not like commercial rate or anything. And something that is calm and would make a good pet. I can only have up to 5 but, I'm thinking 3 is the max. I can even have a rooster so long as he lives indoors : D.

So whatcha think?

I would get at least 1 more than I wanted in case 1 gets sick. Stick with pullets only because 1 rooster would be too much for 2 hens, and it would not be fun to keep him indoors. To learn about the breeds, temperament, and color, size, frequency of eggs I would look at a hatchery websight like Meyer, McMurray, or MyPetChicken.com, plus I would order sexed chicks to have a better chance of getting girls. The local farm stores are fun, but an awful lot of people tell stories of getting too many unexpected roos from them.

Yeah You should definitely get 1 buff Oprington and 1 white leghorn because they are winter hardy, lay over 300 eggs a year and have a very short moulting period. I have those 2 breeds and have really treated me good these past few years.
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:clap

Orpingtons, silkies, or Faverolles? I've heard the roosters of these breeds are pretty nice and calm...
which is really nice
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif

I know opringtons are good but Definitely not Silkies because they are bantams and don't lay alot of eggs unlike other breeds
he.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom