First Coop - Altering A Dog Kennel

itgns

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
Central California

This is about the size of the dog kennel we have (this is not ours, I just tried to find a picture on Google of a kennel that was the same size). I intend to alter it to become a coop or maybe a coop/run? There is a top to it, and while there is a chain link bottom that can be placed underneath, it is not currently attached. We will be putting it underneath in the future to help discourage digging predators. I have five chicks arriving in a few weeks so between the time before they get here and the month or so they'll be spending inside growing up, I've got some time to prepare the coop. I know they'll need roosts and nesting boxes, etc. I guess I have a couple questions that I wanted to focus on.

1. If the ground is going to be dirt-covered, should we still be putting shavings/bedding in for them to run around on?

2. Is it too big to be an actual coop? Should we make a smaller coop to put inside? I thought about taking some paneling or wood and blocking off sections of it (the back quarter or half, maybe) in order to block the wind.

We live on 2 acres of agricultural land with neighbors on the same sort of plots so the chickens will be close to free range. We live in Central California. Our only predators of concern are birds of prey, foxes, possums (rare), raccoons (even more rare, I've only ever seen one dead one), and snakes. Maybe a stray dog, but we haven't seen those in probably a decade. Temperatures in the winter get as low as 30 degrees, while summer temperatures are routinely high 80s. Winters are very rainy, though, and summers are very dry.

Other than my questions, any other advice/comments/stories are really appreciated!

Yes, putting something on the ground will be a good idea or it will be a muddy mess. Wood chips or even better, sand. And yes, I would block off parts of it to make it more secure for the birds as well as to make them comfortable with laying - they like a dark and cozy place to lay. Not sure how many birds you are aiming to get but the recommended coop size is 4 sq. ft. per bird and the run size should be 10 sq. ft. per bird. You might also want to put a cover on it to keep predators out. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the reply!
I read the "Using Sand" article and I'm really tempted by it. The only thing is that it mentions "wet sand" and how they'll remove it. It rains A LOT here during the winter. Is the sand going to be a problem then since it'll always be wet?

Here's my kennel setup, I would recommend covering the run floor with wire before the sand, I did it to prevent anything getting in.

Back
Top Bottom