first coop attempt

igotchickens

Songster
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Designed it on paper first (didn't take a picture of it though). First I built all 4 frames, then put plywood on one, chicken wire on the other, and screwed them all together.
I started screwing on the other walls before I thought about taking a picture.

IMG_2537.jpg

Then I added a beam across the top and 2 sheets of plywood as the roof. I cut the front walls out of plywood and screwed on, leaving room for ventilation at the top (to be covered with chicken wire or hardware cloth later). I added a 12" lip on the bottom of the door to keep the bedding in, a door and a hole for the chickens, plus a ramp out of scrap plywood. I had built the nesting boxes a few months ago so just moved it in there!

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

I still have to add the chicken wire over the ventilation and paint, and add a roost, but it's almost done!

Chicken wire won't keep predators out. Why not use welded wire (hardware cloth) instead?

Quote:
I'd have to look at my receipts but I'm pretty sure it was right under $200. I re-used 3 pieces of plywood, the lock on front, the brackets for the beam (lying around the garage) and the chicken wire on one side which is up against a wall anyway. I think the 2x4s totaled about $70 and the plywood I had to buy was like $72. $10 in nails and $5 in screws, $3 hinges and $3 handle. That adds to $163 but I feel like I spent a little more than that... If I can ever find my receipts I'll let you guys know total cost. Oh yeah and I'll have to add in whatever I spend on Craigslist paint...

Quote:
Because the side with the chicken wire is up against a wall. As for the ventilation, I already have the chicken wire, and if the predator is going to get inside my run, it might as well go through the hole for the chickens rather than jump up and rip off the chicken wire (which will be stapled from the inside)...

Quote:
I'd have to look at my receipts but I'm pretty sure it was right under $200. I re-used 3 pieces of plywood, the lock on front, the brackets for the beam (lying around the garage) and the chicken wire on one side which is up against a wall anyway. I think the 2x4s totaled about $70 and the plywood I had to buy was like $72. $10 in nails and $5 in screws, $3 hinges and $3 handle. That adds to $163 but I feel like I spent a little more than that... If I can ever find my receipts I'll let you guys know total cost. Oh yeah and I'll have to add in whatever I spend on Craigslist paint...

Thanks
smile.png

Quote:
I love how your hens were already checking out the nest boxes Before you were even finished. An efficient use of materials I must say. Good job. I am curious about your roof. Are you planning on doing shingles or corrugated roofing over the plywood? I am just getting ideas for my own coop. I think another posted worry about preditors and chicken wire. The more robust wire can go over the top of the chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom