First coop big enough?

I’m in Piedmont NC. I’m using recycled pallets to build. Sorry my dimensions were wrong, what I have planned is 13.5’x 5’ building on pallets as a frame.

:frow from the Sandhills.

Those updated dimensions are better -- enough space to meet the guidelines and a bit more width for you to work inside. Though long and thin can still present those social issues.

In our climate of blistering-hot summers and mild winters, an Open Air coop -- essentially a roofed run with a 3-sided shelter on the windward end -- is a good, low-cost option. Have you considered that style?

:frow from the Sandhills.

Those updated dimensions are better -- enough space to meet the guidelines and a bit more width for you to work inside. Though long and thin can still present those social issues.

In our climate of blistering-hot summers and mild winters, an Open Air coop -- essentially a roofed run with a 3-sided shelter on the windward end -- is a good, low-cost option. Have you considered that style?
I haven’t! I wanted the to have a good coop gonna build them a decent run to start but I know I’m going to upgrade it later and make it lot stronger

I haven’t! I wanted the to have a good coop gonna build them a decent run to start but I know I’m going to upgrade it later and make it lot stronger

I've become enamored by this concept because even the monitor roof on my current coop needs to be shaded to keep the chickens cool enough on a hot day.

In our climate we can't have too much ventilation. :)

This is my current build: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

And this is the coop that largely inspired it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/jens-hens-a-southern-texas-coop.75707/

I think it can be done as long as you can make the coop tall enough. Height with additional roosting bars will give you the added space.

But that would require a lot of pallets. If you can fit 2 x roosting bars the length of the coop and nesting boxes that length too then that should be enough for 16 to perch.
Coop is going to be 4.5’ tall with 8 nesting boxes, I was planning on with 5 perches at 5’ across so 25’ of perch

Back
Top Bottom