First coop build in Michigan - I should have done this years ago. Pics..

I'm an engineer and tinkerer. My son is pushing me to go another step design a Rasberry Pi control system from scratch. I see there is a thread on this forum already for that. I'll learn from that guy.
My husband has raspberry pi running some things in our coop along with a bunch of sensors that tie into our home automation (Hubitat). There's a thread or two about it here somewhere.

Your coop looks awesome! We have that same rain barrel x3 and nipple and cup drinkers on pvc with heat tape and in 20 degree temps so far it's not frozen. This will be our first year with it also so we'll see when it hits -20. Our rain barrels are fed by gutters on the coops and runs and have a wet sensor in them to notify us when they are low. You would get along well with my husband who has maxed out our coop with tech. (I am just happy to reap the benefits of a smoothly running coop of convenience!) :gig

Well done!

I think all engineers are tinkerers.
What kind of engineer are you?
I'm an engineer by nature but not degree, drafter/designer in Pharm mfg for 20 years. Now mostly a chickeneer :gig

And where in MI are you.....
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2422249
I have 34 years in the automotive industry doing product engineering for automatic transmissions, hybrid transmission and electric drives. I'm in the last 3-year sprint of my career at which point I'll retire and focus on adventure motorcycle trips, chicken coops and grandparenting. I live just north of Ann Arbor.

Another upgrade for winter. I'm worried about snow drifting into the run, but I still want to see the chickens and ducks walking around. My solution was to add 2-foot-high sections of 1/8" polycarbonate "plexiglas" all around the run. It turned out reasonably well. We will see how it makes it through the winter. The Lexan they sell at Home Depot is crazy expensive. My local Amro Steel supplier sells thinner stuff for 1/3 the price. It is still not cheap.
IMG_4524_HEIC.jpg

IMG_4507_HEIC.jpg

My next upgrade is an attempt to deal with my escapees. In the last pic, you can see our rooster sitting on my yard gate. They jump up on this gate and then out of the yard. They were fine staying in the yard when there were leaves on the trees. I think the bare branches give them no protection from hawks. Now, they are hanging out under the pine trees between my house and my neighbor.
IMG_4526_HEIC.jpg

One solution is to fully net-enclose my yard. It is huge - so I'm going to try something different. I bought some camouflage netting and paracord and will make a low-hanging cover in the yard to give them some protection. I'll post pics when that arrives.

My next upgrade is an attempt to deal with my escapees. In the last pic, you can see our rooster sitting on my yard gate. They jump up on this gate and then out of the yard. They were fine staying in the yard when there were leaves on the trees. I think the bare branches give them no protection from hawks. Now, they are hanging out under the pine trees between my house and my neighbor.
View attachment 2422453
One solution is to fully net-enclose my yard. It is huge - so I'm going to try something different. I bought some camouflage netting and paracord and will make a low-hanging cover in the yard to give them some protection. I'll post pics when that arrives.
Hawks are a big problem here too. My husband feeds the wild birds, so we have hawks of all sizes. Since they made such a commotion in the bushes attacking sparrows, my dog got clued to them & now he watches the trees & power pole and barks if he sees one. We tried to train the hens to watch the sky, my Grandson & his frisbee. Not sure if it did the trick, but no losses to a hawk yet. I have big birds, Brahmas, and that's maybe a deterrent too.

OK - here is the new year-round hawk safety covering. I just put it out there. What are the odds that they actually use it? I put a few roosting bars in there for extra attraction.
View attachment 2423851
View attachment 2423854

Nice! hope they use it and don't lay under it ;).

7) Rooster. As I mentioned - this is my first experience with chickens that were not on a plate. The guy at Tractor Supply told me that all 10 of my chicks were hens. It seems he was 90% correct. We started hearing this a few days ago:

This is just me, but I'd be pleased to have a roo! Just one, protector and carer of the flock!

OK - here is the new year-round hawk safety covering. I just put it out there. What are the odds that they actually use it? I put a few roosting bars in there for extra attraction.
They may hang out under there, looks like they are headed that way.
I wouldn't count on it as hawk protection tho.....and watch they don't get tangled up in it.

Back
Top Bottom