First coop build in Michigan - I should have done this years ago. Pics..

Forgive my newbie question: but won't that make many of my eggs ineligble for Omlets?? Wouldn't I need to candle each of them?

Pick up eggs at least once a day, make sure to refrigerate if weather gets super hot, and it'll never be an issue. Nothing wrong with eating fertilized eggs, most people never realize they've eaten them.

We love having the boys around and they definitely earn their keep for us. When they're free ranging, the girls (eating and not really on lookout) flock around the guys (eyes on the skies and treelines). Had a bald eagle coast low and slow over the coop a week or so ago and the boys called them in to safety in a hurry. That being said, I've had a few who didn't do much that was right and were a general nuisance, and they were delicious.

If you get the eggs daily, you don't need to worry about it incubating. It also takes a hen sitting on it in all but the hottest weather for anything to develop. Any eggs you find that may have been missed and you're not sure if you want to eat them can be cooked and fed back to the chickens and they will love you so much for it.

Bad news: My flock is ignoring my camo-covered safe zone in the yard. They are all back congregating around my neighbors pine trees. To keep them in, I may have to put up some netting.......I was hoping to avoid that hassle.

I've just read through this thread, and loved it! As a non-engineer, reading about your gadgets and solutions has been so interesting, although not my thing.
Your netting would work better if it's much higher up, not built like a cave. And solid objects like tables, pallets, and shrubs will work much better anyway.
We are almost neighbors! I'm north of you, near Perry, right up 52.
Mary

How high does my fence need to be to keep the chickens from escaping?
Depends on the bird and the fence and what's inside vs outside the fence.
If they land on top of fence to go over, make top edge floppy.

I planned on a mesh run roof from the get go....because.... lots of hawks here.
full

Back
Top Bottom