First Coop Build

Deepinblue

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2018
This is my first coop that I have built. I plan on building several more all unique on my property. What are things I should be concerned with such as ventilation? Any Ideas from experienced people?

Chicken coop.jpg

I think you should add a screened window, but away from the roost (not pointing at it) so they don't get chilly at night. And the wire on the bottom looks like an easy opening for a fox; all it has to do is dig a couple inches to get in. Consider putting the wire in the ground or boarding up the sides if you don't have a floor in it- other than that, it looks pretty good. Good luck with your chooks, and welcome to the forum!

It is very attractive looking.:thumbsup Ventilation, 1 square foot per bird or per 10 square feet of coop space, is non-negotiable. There are three things that need venting out: moisture, CO2 and ammonia. Since your coop is so peaked you will be able to place any vents up high above the roosting bars. That spot under the gable above the door is asking for a vent, IMO, but you want to put more than just one, put as many as you can. If any winds are hitting the birds, you can still install baffles on the outside of vents, depending on your climate. This site has endless info on ventilation, I paste one link here for you to check out https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/

I think you should add a screened window, but away from the roost (not pointing at it) so they don't get chilly at night. And the wire on the bottom looks like an easy opening for a fox; all it has to do is dig a couple inches to get in. Consider putting the wire in the ground or boarding up the sides if you don't have a floor in it- other than that, it looks pretty good. Good luck with your chooks, and welcome to the forum!
I have 2 x 12s that run around the perimeter and wire on the inside and out. I think I'm going to drive stakes 1 foot into the ground to help deter digging. Thanks for the info.

Adorable! How many chickens will it house? I think multiple round vents would look super cute on this style of coop. I’ll try to find an example
It has 5 nesting boxes on the back side and is 8ft by 6ft wide. 8ft at the peak on the inside. I plan to have 23 chickens inside but I am going to hopefully have them free range outside all day. I think I will add a little door to the right of the bigger door sip they can go in and out as they please until night. Big door is really for me.

It is very attractive looking.:thumbsup Ventilation, 1 square foot per bird or per 10 square feet of coop space, is non-negotiable. There are three things that need venting out: moisture, CO2 and ammonia. Since your coop is so peaked you will be able to place any vents up high above the roosting bars. That spot under the gable above the door is asking for a vent, IMO, but you want to put more than just one, put as many as you can. If any winds are hitting the birds, you can still install baffles on the outside of vents, depending on your climate. This site has endless info on ventilation, I paste one link here for you to check out https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/
The point where the A frame attaches to the 2 by 12s is open but wire meshed to prevent predators. I will add a vent on both back and front at the peak.

Really love this coop, as said I'd like to also see some vent holes. Have a mark up of it by chance?
Vents seem to be the number one concern I will be addressing. I do not have a mark up I literally went to lowes with something in mind and made it up. I didn't want to run off of drawings because I plan on making each coop unique on the property.

how deep does the wire mesh/hardware cloth go? do you have a floor or is it a dirt floor? unless the wire mesh goes down into the ground some predators and feed thieving scavengers will dig under it. I had rats dig under mine about 8 inches below the ground and steal feed/eggs.

Back
Top Bottom