First coop, first thoughts?

where are the nest boxes-- I simply can't wrap my mind around 3 nest boxes being in there! Are they roosting right over the boxes? It looks like no matter where you put a roosting bar, they would still be able to poop in the nest boxes??? It's a cute little house, for sure! I think an external nest box might not get pooped in, though. I guess I just can't visualize the inside of it. I love how you did the exterior wood laths- that is really cool! But I don't think you could get 6 large fowl birds in though-- more like 3 or 4. Unless you were talking about bantams?

I think it looks like a fantastic duck house.
big_smile.png

The roost will NOT be over the nest boxes.

Peter, the plan is modular. The initial coop would be what you see. When you expand, you don't need to buy another complete coop. Essentially you would buy the coop but it would not have end walls. One of the walls on the coop pictured is removable. You would take it off, connect the "expansion coop" and replace the end wall on the end of the expansion coop.

Quote:
I like the Fowl Stuff...er...STUFF! But there is no easy way to get in to get the eggs in the case of our coop.

There really is no reason to paint or clear coat the white cedar at all. A more natural coop!

I was online last night, and Fowl Stuff has a new tractor nest box. One end sticks out of the coop with an opening that you can access the nest from the outside. Very cool! I like the coop!

Quote:
That could be a use as well. Thanks for the idea.
big_smile.png

For ducks they need a lesser grade ramp that is wider so they feel safe going up. I could use 4 of them for yatd houses/breeding season lol. Then if the door was enlarged and an expansion put on would be good for geese. Yep could put a few of those to use. Too bad you aren't in FL

It's a cute coop and would be an attractive option for someone who doesn't want to build their own. These small coops always pose their own unique challenges. There are just a few changes and ideas I might suggest:

1. It needs more ventilation up at the ridge line of the roof when rising moisture and ammonia gas might accumulate.
2. It needs ventilation that doesn't rely solely on windows. When the weather turns wet and windy, I'd want to be able to close the windows and still have good ventilation without drafts.
3. It needs nest boxes. If they are inside then that reduces the number of chickens the coop can hold. You say it holds 3-6, but at 3'x4' then 3 full-sized hens is more realistic. Once you add one nest box (3 hens can share one) inside then the coop might hold 2-3 hens. Nest boxes also need to be somewhat private and out of the way.
4. It needs roosts that aren't over the nest boxes, feeders, waterers, etc.
5. Make it as easy to clean as possible. That might be a hinged bottom to dump the litter, poop trays, removable roosts, etc. Having to bend over and climb in that hatch to clean the interior will get old pretty quickly. Without poop trays under the roosts, the coop will need daily cleaning. If people instead rely on DLM, then the coop needs to be able to hold 6 - 8" of litter and a way to shovel or dump it out twice a year. How does that much litter affect the nest boxes and pop door?
6. The ramp to the pop door looks too steep, but that may just be the angle of the photo.

Back
Top Bottom