First Coyote Sighting

Willowspirit

Crowing
Mar 14, 2019
Near Portland Oregon at 2Dogs Ranch North
one of my greatest chicken joys is letting them free range. Well today our barn helper noticed one of the horses alerting. She followed his gaze and saw a coyote that appeared to be injured cutting along the woods at our property line over to the woods at our neighbors at the top of our hill pasture.

So I guess it’s time to keep the chickens in their yard whenever we’re not out. I’m pretty sad about it. I’ve loved seeing them traveling around to the house and scratching for worms and such in the garden. I also have loved them running to greet me when I come out.

Losing birds to predators is a downside to free ranging. Do you have a large run to keep your flock in for a while?

Do you have open season on coyotes there?
If it is injured, it may live a miserable life until it either dies or heals. Some folks would rather put it out of its misery before it gets to your flock. (I probably couldn't, but I am a big wuss)

Losing birds to predators is a downside to free ranging. Do you have a large run to keep your flock in for a while?

Yes. We have a pretty big fenced and electrified yard. They will do okay there but it’s not as much fun as seeing them traveling around. The benefit of our yard is that there is no woods cover to get to it so mr. coyote would be exposed to get there. We also have a game camera set there and no predator sightings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom