First death, bobcat :(

I’m so sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing almost a month ago when a bobcat snatched one of my ducks in broad daylight. The only comfort was that she didn’t suffer like she would have if it was almost any other predator. I let “my” bobcat be as my ducks were free-ranging (under loose supervision), so I honestly couldn’t blame her for helping herself to a nice dinner for her and her family.

Things have changed. My ducks stay either in the barn or “duckio” at all times unless they are on extremely supervised walks. It’s not as fun for them (or as easy for me), but there have been no further attacks despite the bobcat making daily visits for about a week after the attack. I hope that “your” bobcat causes no further issues and that you and your surviving girls heal quickly from the trauma. Please know that you are not alone. I remember reading somewhere that every chicken keeper (and duck keeper, I suppose) will lose birds to predation at some point. We do our best, but with dozens of potential threats, things happen. And then we learn. Take care :hugs

I’m so sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing almost a month ago when a bobcat snatched one of my ducks in broad daylight. The only comfort was that she didn’t suffer like she would have if it was almost any other predator. I let “my” bobcat be as my ducks were free-ranging (under loose supervision), so I honestly couldn’t blame her for helping herself to a nice dinner for her and her family.

Things have changed. My ducks stay either in the barn or “duckio” at all times unless they are on extremely supervised walks. It’s not as fun for them (or as easy for me), but there have been no further attacks despite the bobcat making daily visits for about a week after the attack. I hope that “your” bobcat causes no further issues and that you and your surviving girls heal quickly from the trauma. Please know that you are not alone. I remember reading somewhere that every chicken keeper (and duck keeper, I suppose) will lose birds to predation at some point. We do our best, but with dozens of potential threats, things happen. And then we learn. Take care :hugs
Thanks for your note and sorry for your loss too! I've only been letting mine out on super supervised walks since it happened. I literally stand there as they forage and take their dust baths (today it was for four hours). I have the time for now but I'm a teacher and go back to school next week so they will have to be in the coop and run a lot more.

Sorry for your loss! I hope you're able to eliminate the bobcat quickly & soon!

I had a coyote problem last summer, took 4 of my favorite girls & the mister at 2 in the afternoon. All the survivors came to my front porch as if to tell me somethings wrong. A farm down the way had lost 13 chickens a few days earlier. Turns out it was a small pack of coyotes. I kept the girls all in the coop with access to their run & a few days later 2 more girls were lost. Lucky for us it's legal to eliminate coyotes 24/7 365. In the following days 8 pelts were collected. For the next week or so the girls all stayed in the coop with fresh cabbages & a flock block to help them adjust. I hope your survivors all adjust well!

I had a coyote issue. I tried to trap them which is next to impossible. A neighbor let some hunters come on to his land to hunt the coyotes. Apparently they scored. I did hear shooting around midnight and have seen far fewer coyotes. I still see some now and then but not like I used to.

I have been seeing this bobcat now and then. I'm sure it knows the electric wires are there.
DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg
IMAG0001 (15) 02.jpg
IMAG0001 (15) 03.jpg

Sorry for your loss! I hope you're able to eliminate the bobcat quickly & soon!

I had a coyote problem last summer, took 4 of my favorite girls & the mister at 2 in the afternoon. All the survivors came to my front porch as if to tell me somethings wrong. A farm down the way had lost 13 chickens a few days earlier. Turns out it was a small pack of coyotes. I kept the girls all in the coop with access to their run & a few days later 2 more girls were lost. Lucky for us it's legal to eliminate coyotes 24/7 365. In the following days 8 pelts were collected. For the next week or so the girls all stayed in the coop with fresh cabbages & a flock block to help them adjust. I hope your survivors all adjust well!
Sorry for your losses:( ☹ How did you guys trap the coyotes? My husband is planning on making sets for the bobcat, special lures, scent, etc.

Survivors are back to normal, albeit a bit more Skittish than they used to be...

I mostly see single coyotes. When I have seen a pack I think the female with her young learning to hunt. I think once they have been zapped by the hot wires they teach their young that whatever is on the other side isn't worth getting zapped for.

Back
Top Bottom