First death, bobcat :(

Very sad evening for us. I was free ranging my flock of 6 hens and it was around 7 PM, misty and raining. They had a nice evening with a cheese snack and dust baths. I got too comfortable leaving then unattended and I paid the price. I was right inside on the couch and I heard a strange scream. I ran out and saw a bobcat attacking my RSL. My husband ran out, the bobcat ran away but it was too late. The chicken died. No blood, just tons of feathers. My husband said it was a quick death. Regardless, I feel awful. Thankfully I was able to find my other 5 unharmed but they were shocked. I knew the risks of free ranging but had I been out there watching this could have been avoided.

The bobcat got a taste for chicken. Will it return for more? I am not free ranging for a while and never again unsupervised.

Last edited:
Your kitty will return, and being out there with the birds may not save them. Your flock needs to be locked in their safe coop and run, until you have things managed.
Electric fencing is your friend!!! @Howard E , @cmom , and Premier1supplies.com are places to look for advice, and Premier has good products.
If it's legal to trap and shoot where you live, that's an option to remove this cat.
Mary
And I'm so sorry for your loss, it's hard.

Folly's place said it right and gave good advice. I will add that free ranging in some areas is very difficult, if you don't have a kill everything that might come, mind set or spending lots for netting/ fencing and other security measures is not easy for you. Premier Sheep Supply company has good products and have helped me in past years with my sheep/poultry security. The mink, raccoons, coyotes,bobcats, stray dogs, fox, hawks and whatever else that happens upon our chickens when out in the free world, makes our area very difficult and we are not in the deep woods or remote mountains! If you have a strong predator, like a bobcat, your coop and run must be of strong, heavy wire, buried about 18 inches or staked flat out a few feet and well constructed and sealed around and over the top. Poultry wire will not stop dogs ,coyotes, raccoons or bobcats. Some shooting restrictions or special restrictions (like inside city limits or sanctuaries) may apply. New York State game officials will have info available. Hunting/trapping License may be required . The department of agriculture is another agency to check laws regarding protecting livestock in your state and may tell you, that you do not need a license to shoot/trap this bobcat. Good luck and best wishes for your flock!

So sorry for your loss. It sure will be back. This one killed 14 birds one night. It made the mistake of coming back. Good luck...
IMG_3312.JPG

Very sad evening for us. I was free ranging my flock of 6 hens and it was around 7 PM, misty and raining. They had a nice evening with a cheese snack and dust baths. I got too comfortable leaving then unattended and I paid the price. I was right inside on the couch and I heard a strange scream. I ran out and saw a bobcat attacking my RSL. My husband ran out, the bobcat ran away but it was too late. The chicken died. No blood, just tons of feathers. My husband said it was a quick death. Regardless, I feel awful. Thankfully I was able to find my other 5 unharmed but they were shocked. I knew the risks of free ranging but had I been out there watching this could have been avoided.

The bobcat got a taste for chicken. Will it return for more? I am not free ranging for a while and never again unsupervised.
I'm sorry for your loss and hope you are vigilant because it will be back soon!

Your kitty will return, and being out there with the birds may not save them. Your flock needs to be locked in their safe coop and run, until you have things managed.
Electric fencing is your friend!!! @Howard E , @cmom , and Premier1supplies.com are places to look for advice, and Premier has good products.
If it's legal to trap and shoot where you live, that's an option to remove this cat.
Mary
And I'm so sorry for your loss, it's hard.
Thank you for the reply. I still can't believe it. I've been on high alter for hawks and never would have thought the problem would be a bobcat. I ran outside just after it had clawed and killed the chicken so I saw it run away. It was very strong and muscular looking.

I'm keeping the chickens in their coop and run which has 2 foot trench and screen around it, hardware cloth and metal roof so its as safe as can be. We have to trench and screen and reinforce their other run this weekend so they won't go in there for now.

I think I'm very lucky that I only had one loss. From what I've read, bobcats and wipe out entire flocks quickly. The other hens were scared but seem OK now. We buried their little buddy last night. My husband is a trapper and is going to do something about the bobcat..plus we will look into the electric fence too.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing almost a month ago when a bobcat snatched one of my ducks in broad daylight. The only comfort was that she didn’t suffer like she would have if it was almost any other predator. I let “my” bobcat be as my ducks were free-ranging (under loose supervision), so I honestly couldn’t blame her for helping herself to a nice dinner for her and her family.

Things have changed. My ducks stay either in the barn or “duckio” at all times unless they are on extremely supervised walks. It’s not as fun for them (or as easy for me), but there have been no further attacks despite the bobcat making daily visits for about a week after the attack. I hope that “your” bobcat causes no further issues and that you and your surviving girls heal quickly from the trauma. Please know that you are not alone. I remember reading somewhere that every chicken keeper (and duck keeper, I suppose) will lose birds to predation at some point. We do our best, but with dozens of potential threats, things happen. And then we learn. Take care :hugs

Back
Top Bottom