First Death on the Farmstead.....

JFDJason

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2018
Came home last night to my little newborn Silkie chick laying dead in the brooder. He was born about a week ago and was doing great. When I got home last night noticed that my heat lamp must have burned out and must have happened early in the day because all the bedding was very cold. I suspect that the lamp went out and his little body temp got a little to low. Never thought I would get this attached to chickens, but I.

RIP little "Marsala" you will be missed.

Came home last night to my little newborn Silkie chick laying dead in the brooder. He was born about a week ago and was doing great. When I got home last night noticed that my heat lamp must have burned out and must have happened early in the day because all the bedding was very cold. I suspect that the lamp went out and his little body temp got a little to low. Never thought I would get this attached to chickens, but I.

RIP little "Marsala" you will be missed.

I would make sure you start with a new bulb each time. Sorry for your loss!

#1 I won't use a heat lamp, #2 redundancy with the heating for this very reason. For example 2- 75 watt not 1-150 watt. Next time use heating pads that don't turn off after a period of time. In this picture I have two heating pads on top and the chicks run in and out as needed to heat themselves up. I call this my easy bake oven. Just raise it up as needed with them growing. Also each heating pad is about 50 watts total 100 watts not 250 like many heat lamps. Very cheap to run and nearly no fire risk. I put foil face bubble insulation on top of the heating pads to reflect the heat down. Sorry for your loss
KIMG0023.jpg KIMG0024.jpg

Last edited:
My condolences on your loss. I think it's impossible NOT to get attached to a chicken, especially a tiny sweet one. And, I always find some way to feel guilty that I didn't protect my babies, even when I couldn't have anticipated the danger. You learn, and you find more babies to care about. But, Marsala will always be special to you because she was the first to leave you.

Back
Top Bottom