First Death

I lost my first chicken today. My husband found her in a pile of feathers with her head hanging by a thread. I'm just devastated. I assume it was a hawk as the netting/fencing around the chicken yard was completely in tact and none of the other chickens were harmed.

Is there anything else that would have left the body that way? She was my heaviest bird, so I assume the hawk wasn't able to take her once it killed her(?)

I feel just awful. They're only a year old. I have locked the rest of the flock up in the run. I knew this was a risk of letting them be out in the yard. It's terrible not knowing what did it.

RIP, Loki 💔
I’m so sorry that happened! My girls are 7 months this week and I just hate the thought of losing them 💔. I’ve lost two already (both as chicks) and it was horrible as I’m only 7 months into this chicken keeping thing I have no clue what could have done this to your poor baby. I hope you find out without the death of another chicky!

I read a similar incident a couple of weeks ago on FB and cried. A lady who had a chicken that out of her flock of 40, would come running to her and follow her around the yard. Her chickens free-ranged for years and never had issues, until one day, that one chicken was gone. It had to be a hawk. She prefaced her post with something like,"Do not come at me for free-ranging my chickens. I give them happy lives. I know they would give up half of their years of life to be able to free range, rather than to be penned up and live out them all." I believe she is right.
I gave her some tips though, as we all know that hawk will be back.
:goodpost: Yes. All of this. ❤️‍🩹

We've free-ranged for 7 years. Ours are silkies who can't fly. In the beginning, we lost two, months apart, without a trace. We have a forest behind us and farmer's fields on the other three sides. We hear the coyotes almost every single night, and have seen bear, raccoons, skunks, foxes, and possums in our yard and on trail cams; in addition to bobcat scares, the neighbor farmers text out when they see one. We got a border collie and 2 barn cats, put up giant wind spinners, solar motion lights, and cameras. That all stopped. Never anything in our yard anymore.

We haven't lost one in the past 6 years or so, but if I ever lose a precious one to me, I will be devastated. I would hope to get a little bit of compassion and understanding, and I sure hope that nobody tells me, "There will be more deaths, probably several per week until you fix the situation."

:highfive: Free ranging for 11, chicken keeping for almost 12. Losing the favs (especially) doesn't get easier

I am so sorry you had to experience this tragedy, there is no better place to come to than this site, as we love our chickens as much as you do your own flock. Nothing I can say will help, so I'll just pray that you find comfort in the rest of your flock and that they seem to have a great place to live out their lives with you.

I do recommend overhead netting, highly recommend it. We sectioned off a 50x50 area for our girls to roam free that is fenced in and netting above them. Heavy duty netting isn't too expensive, but the weight of knowing they are "safer" with it than without is worth the expense. We have 2 cameras that we keep an eye on them as well, we love our girls and I know you do as well. Hug a chicken today, best therapy around.

Back
Top Bottom