First Death

I lost my first chicken today. My husband found her in a pile of feathers with her head hanging by a thread. I'm just devastated. I assume it was a hawk as the netting/fencing around the chicken yard was completely in tact and none of the other chickens were harmed.

Is there anything else that would have left the body that way? She was my heaviest bird, so I assume the hawk wasn't able to take her once it killed her(?)

I feel just awful. They're only a year old. I have locked the rest of the flock up in the run. I knew this was a risk of letting them be out in the yard. It's terrible not knowing what did it.

RIP, Loki 💔
I'm so sorry you lost her. A hawk does sound like something that would do that; or an owl. They only eat heads and necks. :(

She looks so pretty, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost one that was only 4 months old to a raccoon and I know how it feels. I hope the rest of the flock doesn't go into depression, though they might.

I hope your heavy heart heals soon, but never forget Loki ❤️

I'm so sorry you lost her. A hawk does sound like something that would do that; or an owl. They only eat heads and necks. :(

She looks so pretty, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost one that was only 4 months old to a raccoon and I know how it feels. I hope the rest of the flock doesn't go into depression, though they might.

I hope your heavy heart heals soon, but never forget Loki ❤️
Thank you ❤️‍🩹

The rest of the flock has been ok. My husband and I are worse. Lots of tough lessons learned. Loki was my first to lay an egg and she was a very good, chunky chicken girl. She'll always have a special place in our hearts and serve as a reminder not to take anything for granted!

Thank you ❤️‍🩹

The rest of the flock has been ok. My husband and I are worse. Lots of tough lessons learned. Loki was my first to lay an egg and she was a very good, chunky chicken girl. She'll always have a special place in our hearts and serve as a reminder not to take anything for granted!
That's a perfect mindset. I am so, so, so sorry that this happened, chickens become like pets to us.
I hope you and your husband have many fond memories and pictures of her.
When I lost mine I had no pictures at all.
She sounds like the perfect chicken; chunky, laying, and oh so pretty! Do you have any other pictures of her?

That's a perfect mindset. I am so, so, so sorry that this happened, chickens become like pets to us.
I hope you and your husband have many fond memories and pictures of her.
When I lost mine I had no pictures at all.
She sounds like the perfect chicken; chunky, laying, and oh so pretty! Do you have any other pictures of her?

Baby Loki
20220930_103757.jpg

Teen Loki (w/my son)
20221028_153225.jpg

The day she laid her (our) 1st egg!
20230121_133521.jpg

Could have been a raccoon. We've had an attack that left one dead with just its throat cut. If you put up overhead netting, be aware that the plastic stuff is a waste of money, time, and doesn't protect. I'd get the heaviest duty, close weave netting, or better yet, use hardware cloth. Metal is the best so protect your flock.
Amen! We lost 6 chicks to raccoons. Chewed right through the netting. We ONLY use hardware cloth. Can’t take loosing any more. We have hawks too, but the pile of feathers and the slit throat sounds like raccoons. Sorry for your loss.

I lost my first chicken today. My husband found her in a pile of feathers with her head hanging by a thread. I'm just devastated. I assume it was a hawk as the netting/fencing around the chicken yard was completely in tact and none of the other chickens were harmed.

Is there anything else that would have left the body that way? She was my heaviest bird, so I assume the hawk wasn't able to take her once it killed her(?)

I feel just awful. They're only a year old. I have locked the rest of the flock up in the run. I knew this was a risk of letting them be out in the yard. It's terrible not knowing what did it.

RIP, Loki 💔
Amen! We lost 6 chicks to raccoons. Chewed right through the netting. We ONLY use hardware cloth. Can’t take loosing any more. We have hawks too, but the pile of feathers and the slit throat sounds like raccoons. Sorry for your loss.

RIP, Loki 💔
I am so sorry for the loss of Loki! Geez, that is terrible! I put a cover over my coop, but mine also go out. But since I have a hawk family a few houses down (I just learned!) they will not be going out unless they are covered by my Copper Maran and my Kangal (Anatolian Shepherd) or me!

Back
Top Bottom