First Duck house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mamasaurusrex2, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Looks great!! I agree on hardware cloth!! Wonder if dh can make a window covering out of the wood he cut out put hinges to the house fix a way for it to be closed with a latch or two that way if rain or snow was to get side ways you could close up. But they really do need that ventilation your dh did great making it. Look forward to seeing your 2 little rescues there.

2. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    idk, hopefully not my ducks! I did have a family of 5 babies, no mother last year but my Anatolian Shepherd took care of that crew. Unfortunately she's not longer with us. RIP Honeybear:love

3. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    Will they be able to reach down the there far enough to grab them? This box is 4ftx4ft. I was worried about the chicken wire, I had told my husband hardware cloth and expected to go with him to buy the supplies, but he decided to surprise me instead.

WannaBeHillBilly and DucksOhio like this.
  4. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    I was thinking maybe he could fo something like that too. I'm not sure if he has any wood left over though. That would add protection too

WannaBeHillBilly and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Yes, they could and not only reach down they'd just jump down into the house! Raccoons are really smart and resourceful and can unlock locks!

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  6. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    I know they are super smart but how can they jump down into the house if they can't get in? And if they can't get in I am wondering if they could actually reach the ducks that far down from the top.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

They can break through chicken wire. And jump down or climb down. Chicken wire is made to keep our poultry in not predators out. Don't remove chicken wire just secure hard ware cloth over exiting. Use those heavy duty metal washers to secure screws or what ever you use to mount the hardware cloth.

8. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    Thank you, that makes sense. I will need to do that!

9. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    Today we got 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Husband is going to attach it tomorrow. Still need a couple more latches for the back door and it's ready!

10. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    :woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: