First Duck house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mamasaurusrex2, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Can't wait to see it and your girls home an safe.

2. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    20190830_094306.jpg 20190830_094117.jpg So my ducks are domestic ducks that were in the creek behind our house. We caught one last night but the other one got scared and wouldn't let me near her after that. She was calling for her friend from the creek. The one we caught was so scared and this morning has been very stressed. She tried for a long time to find a way out and when she realized she couldn't she tried to fly out but being a rouen she can't and slammed into the chicken wire. She drank some water but didn't really eat and now is just sitting in the doorway. I feel so bad for her, she needs her sister. I hope we can catch her soon, otherwise I guess we will need to find her a friend somewhere else.

ETA: this run is temporary til we can make a predator proof one. Once we get the last side of our backyard fence up she can free range in the yard during the day.

3. Miss Lydia

I hope you can get her buddy that will help. Just keep in mind your keeping her safe. She’ll settle down it just may take some time.

WannaBeHillBilly and DuckyDonna like this.
  4. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    Thank you, you are right. She is safe here, it just breaks my heart seeing her so stressed and lonely. I think once she settles in she will be happy though.

5. Miss Lydia

Hopefully you can bribe her buddy with something tasty so you can get her.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  6. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    I hope so! She didn't come this morning, so I am hoping she will come this afternoon/evening.

7. Miss Lydia

How’s did you catch the one you have?

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  8. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    I usually feed them by hand, they eat out of my hand every day and I can pet them. I just picked her up and put her in a box to take to my backyard but when we put her in the box the other on got super spooked. After that she wouldn't let me too close to her.

9. Miss Lydia

I bet you will probably have to gain her trust again might take a couple days just don’t bring the dreaded box with you!

10. Miss Lydia

You could just pick her up and carry her with out the trauma of the box or wrap a towel around her like a burrito! That would keep her from flapping her wings.

WannaBeHillBilly and DuckyDonna like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: