First Duck house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mamasaurusrex2, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Aww bless she’s so pretty. I hope there’s a rescue around that can help.

Mamasaurusrex2 likes this.
  2. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    Hello, I just wanted to update. It took a lot of searching but we found a friend for our girl! This evening we picked up a pretty female buff. She is very scared of me and tried to fly out of the run, my rouen has tried a few times as well. Jimmy my rouen (female), was pretty picked on before we rescued her. The wild mallards pecked her and pulled her feathers so she was very nervous of this new duck. The buff seems to like Jimmy though and hopefully they will be good friends. Also, I think I am going to get bird netting to put over this temporary run since they keep trying to fly out, just in case. 20190904_181423.jpg 20190904_181653.jpg 20190904_181413.jpg

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. katiebrock

katiebrock Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    It looks like they will get along well :)

Mamasaurusrex2 and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Buffs are an awesome breed!! She is beautiful. I think that’s a good idea and it will keep anything from getting in through the top too. Did you get mealworms? Sit out with them and toss meal worms it won’t take long before they settle in an get use to you an each other. I have 2 female Buffs they are sweet ducks and great layers.

5. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    I did get meal worms and Jimmy ate one and refused the rest. Out of curiosity I took some to the wild ducks and they wouldn't eat them either. However this new duck was happily eating them this morning. I sat out there with them last night and this morning. Jimmy still won't come to me or eat from my hand like she used to and this new one thinks I'm scary, but she really seems to like Jimmy a lot. Jimmy does try to tell her the water dish is all hers, but she isn't mean about it. I think they are going to be good friends after a bit. I will try some more meal worms in a bit. I'm glad to hear they are sweet and good layers, she definitely does seem very sweet and peaceful. :love

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Put some meal worms in their water they float.

7. Mamasaurusrex2

Mamasaurusrex2 Songster

Jun 5, 2019
    I will do that, thanks!

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: