First Egg 3 weeks ago....Nothing Since!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spowell, Aug 30, 2011.

1. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    My silkie laid her first egg 3 weeks ago and nothing since. Is this normal? All my hens, up until this new group of White Silkies, were laying when I got them. So I didn't know if this is the norm.[​IMG] Thanks

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    have you searched for a hidden nest....? I found 6 one day outside the coop, hidden! Go on a hunt!

3. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I would love to go on an egg hunt, but I can't let them out. She and her group of hen friends must stay secure in their coop because the fox and raccoons think they are tasty morsels:oops: Thanks though.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    check for a hidden nest in the coop, under something, in the shavings, on the floor. they can be pretty sneaky. 3 weeks is a long time to skip between eggs.

also, make sure no one is eating them. sometimes all you find is a little egg residue and a tiny speck of shell.

5. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Thanks...I will check everything again tomrrow.[​IMG]

6. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Well, I took everything apart today..... no eggs or signs of eaten eggs. I guess she will grace me with another egg when she gets good and ready!!! Thanks for the suggestions.

7. brghtii

brghtii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    I have an easter egger doing that. It is maddening. Hope she lays more soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by