First Egg Countdown

Lol we have a lot of loud singing girls here in the first egg forum! I'm crossing my fingers for all of you!

Also, Happy Chooks you jinxed me (although you also inspired me :p). After you mentioned my Faverolle being broody, I realized that I'm silly for trying to incubate my turkeys because I have a friend who ALWAYS has broody bantam Silkies and Cochins. So last night I brought the eggs over for all 5 of her broodies! The jinx part was that I was properly put into my place by a tiny frizzle cochin, lol! She stole three turkey eggs out of my hands, fluffed herself up as big as can be, growled, then pecked the crud outta me. It was adorable! I didn't mean to give her so many eggs, but she had other plans, and I wasn't getting them back, that was for sure!

So... I guess so that I don't railroad my own thread.... first egg I've had stolen from me by a broody?
lau.gif

I just realized my girls are 18 and 19 weeks old this weekend! I need to get the nest boxes in! O.O

Edited to post that one of my Easter Eggers is squatting O.O Gotta hurry now, for sure! I can't wait to see what she lays. She is a pretty gold girl with a pea comb...hopefully she'll give me blue eggs :D

Last edited:
I'll join too, the waiting is driving me crazy. We have 3 girls that are 19 weeks old - one each Buff Orpington, Australorp, and Silver Laced Wyandotte. I know they are late-laying breeds so trying not to get my hopes up. But there has been a LOT of BAWK-BAWK-BAAAAAWK going on and the SLW's comb and wattle are bright red. So, fingers crossed for the first egg anyt ime soon!

Hi All!! These are my girls!!! RIR, BR, NHR, and BL. They turned 16 weeks old on Sunday. I believe I read that they should start laying around 18 or so weeks. The NHR and BL have larger combs then the other 2, but they are still small. I have changed their food from Start and Grow to Layena. I am going to put some oyster shells in the corner of their pen today. When do ya'll think I should put some plastic eggs in the nesting box? Is there anything else I should be doing? They LOVE it when I let them out of the pen to roam around my yard. I have a swamp and plenty of woods in my yard with no fence, so I can't just leave them out all day. I would love to though. I can't chance them going in the woods, or another animal killing them. So far, they are not too too bad to get back in!!!

Welcome everyone! So nice to see everyone with girls close to laying! Get those nesting boxes ready!

sooo exiting to see that every ones girls are so close too laying what breeds do yall have?
D.gif
The next ones to lay for me are Partridge Rocks. I have two of them and one will be 20 weeks on Friday; the other will be 19 weeks old.

They need to move in with the layers soon.

Ron

The next ones to lay for me are Partridge Rocks. I have two of them and one will be 20 weeks on Friday; the other will be 19 weeks old.

They need to move in with the layers soon.

Ron
my mutt hen started laying at 25 weeks she lays a medium brown egg

Back
Top Bottom