First Egg Countdown

Quote: That is great! My Marans started laying a couple of weeks ago. She laid to small ones, stopped for three days and then laid a medium one for 6 days. She took a day off and is now laying almost large eggs. I expect her to be laying extra large eggs next month.

They are very pretty eggs too--about a 5 on the darkness scale.

Ron

That is great! My Marans started laying a couple of weeks ago. She laid to small ones, stopped for three days and then laid a medium one for 6 days. She took a day off and is now laying almost large eggs. I expect her to be laying extra large eggs next month.

Ron
mine are medium in size and about a 4-5 on the darkness scale i just set some Americana eggs in my incubator!
clap.gif

My Production Red lays eggs about a 5 or 6 on the darkness scale, that are large and the shape is like the ones at the store. My Barred Rock lays eggs at about a 2 on the darkness scale, that are medium-small and pointy.

My Production Red lays eggs about a 5 or 6 on the darkness scale, that are large and the shape is like the ones at the store. My Barred Rock lays eggs at about a 2 on the darkness scale, that are medium-small and pointy.
Yes! I have eggs as dark as the Marans, but there is something different about them. They kind of glow and have dark speckles on them. I am getting eggs from: 1 blue Maran, 1 EE, 2 Golden Comets, 3 Hatchery RIRs, 2 Barred Rocks and 4 Black Australorps. The eggs are so nice looking and come in so many shapes and sizes from small blue to jumbo light brown.

I love heritage chicken eggs!

Ron

That is great! My Marans started laying a couple of weeks ago. She laid to small ones, stopped for three days and then laid a medium one for 6 days. She took a day off and is now laying almost large eggs. I expect her to be laying extra large eggs next month.

Ron
Wow Ron that's so cool. You truly have a lot of different color egg layers don't you? I only recently found out about the Marans and what pretty dark brown eggs they lay.

My girls are as follows:
This is Lucy and Ethel (Bantam Cochins, one frizzel one smooth, 16 weeks old) This pic is from 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Hope & Faith (Buff Orps, 13 weeks old) Pic is from about 2 weeks ago.

Pebbles & Faith and the one on the chair that you can't see her face is lil Mama. (Red Stars are 16 weeks old)

and one of the Red stars was singing the "Egg song" this morning and she squatted for me when I went out there today to do their photo. Not sure which one it was but one of them is close to laying. Woo Hoo!

My other chickens pics are in my Avatar. They are 18 months old...Broody Momma (Goldie) is raising her 5 week old chick, ( Pic of chick not included) and my Rooster (Sal) are OEGB's. So I don't have anyone laying YET!

My Rooster is so sweet. He wants to show the girls what to do. He goes in the nest boxes and squats & coos so sweetly, so I haven't put fake eggs in them. I figure he is showing them the way.
wink.png

sooo exiting to see that every ones girls are so close too laying what breeds do yall have?
D.gif
Thanks!

I have a mixed flock...two Easter Eggers, a Cuckoo Marans, a Rhode Island Red, and two Silkies (one of which is a crowing, dancing cockerel) who are 19 weeks old
Two Blue Andalusians and two more Silkies who are 18 weeks old
Three Modern Game Bantams (one which is a little cockerel) and three Polish (on possible cockerel) who are 11 weeks old
A Modern Game Bantam and a Black Australorp both 3 weeks old
AND 16 Serama eggs in my incubator

(I am known as the crazy chicken lady at work LOL!)

I have a Rhode Island Red, a Buff Ophington, a Barred Rock, and 2 EE that are 16 weeks old. I have a silkie who is 14 weeks old, I also have a brown leghorn and another EE that are 9 weeks old and a marans/ameraucana mix that is 8 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom