First Egg Countdown

I have 6 hens, that are all about 2 weeks apart in age, im not sure of one off the oldest girls, ill post a pic of her, shes black and white striped, but the other oldest (which they are about 4.5 months old ) the other is a rhode island red, the next two which are 4 mths old are New Hampheres, and the last 2 which are about 3.5 months old are buff orphingtons ( although their the same size as the oldest. Its so exciting!!

Quote:
goodpost.gif
X2
welcome-byc.gif

wee.gif
thumbsup.gif
pop.gif
Pictures Please!

Ron

I have 6 hens, that are all about 2 weeks apart in age, im not sure of one off the oldest girls, ill post a pic of her, shes black and white striped, but the other oldest (which they are about 4.5 months old ) the other is a rhode island red, the next two which are 4 mths old are New Hampheres, and the last 2 which are about 3.5 months old are buff orphingtons ( although their the same size as the oldest. Its so exciting!!
Thanks for the pictures! I was posting a reply when you posted them.

It's so funny when that happens.

Ron

Haahaa, we're all worse than kids under a broken pinata. We love the chicken pics!! That's a beautiful flock of laying girls Krysta!

I guess i didnt see the signs, since ive never had chickens before, the girls have been making a lot of racket lately, and squatting, their noises changed awhile ago, to the book book book, lol, its funny to see them change. Know i guess i know what im looking for in the others...
Question, i found the egg in the corner on the ground, i put straw in their nesting boxes, but they just keep spreading it around the coop, will putting a 2x4 at the bottom of their nesting boxes stop them from spreading it, and help them to go their to lay??? i dont want eggs all over the coop since we have 6 nesting boxes.

My RSL and BO are 16 weeks and five days. This morning I noticed their combs are very bright pink and the little RSL seems to have more color altogether. Checking for eggs has been a daily thing recently but seeing that visible change in them really has me on pins and needles.
fl.gif

When people say 'squatting' what does that mean? They will actually squat--like putting their butt on the ground?

PS-- Thanks for having this thread. Been dying to post in here for weeks but wanted to wait until I knew the girls were close.

I guess i didnt see the signs, since ive never had chickens before, the girls have been making a lot of racket lately, and squatting, their noises changed awhile ago, to the book book book, lol, its funny to see them change. Know i guess i know what im looking for in the others...
Question, i found the egg in the corner on the ground, i put straw in their nesting boxes, but they just keep spreading it around the coop, will putting a 2x4 at the bottom of their nesting boxes stop them from spreading it, and help them to go their to lay??? i dont want eggs all over the coop since we have 6 nesting boxes.
Nice egg and a great picture!

They often lay in odd places the first time. I think that fist egg surprises them
lau.gif

The board is a great Idea. Some think that straw encourages mites, so I use pine shavings(not cedar)

Put a couple of fake eggs or golf balls in each nest box--with 6 hens you will want 2 nest boxes(of course they often lay in only one).

They will figure out where to lay soon.

Ron

Nice egg and a great picture!

They often lay in odd places the first time. I think that fist egg surprises them
lau.gif

The board is a great Idea. Some think that straw encourages mites, so I use pine shavings(not cedar)

Put a couple of fake eggs or golf balls in each nest box--with 6 hens you will want 2 nest boxes(of course they often lay in only one).

They will figure out where to lay soon.

Ron

x2, my poor girls had a couple of oopsies in their run, but they figured it out. Maybe someone needs to invent egg diapers for pullets.

ChickenBamBam, squatting looks more like the chicken is crouching down and hovering over the ground. Like they are getting ready for takeoff or something. They hold their wings out a bit and sometimes stomp their little feet rapidly. I think it's particularily funny when they look up over their shoulder at you as if to say "well? Are we going to wait all day?". Scandelous!

x2, my poor girls had a couple of oopsies in their run, but they figured it out. Maybe someone needs to invent egg diapers for pullets.

ChickenBamBam, squatting looks more like the chicken is crouching down and hovering over the ground. Like they are getting ready for takeoff or something. They hold their wings out a bit and sometimes stomp their little feet rapidly. I think it's particularily funny when they look up over their shoulder at you as if to say "well? Are we going to wait all day?". Scandelous!
yuckyuck.gif
Haha! I want to see 'the squat'. My girls are 13 weeks, so I got a few more weeks left...got some Cinnamon Queens that will probably start around the last week of this month, probably everyone else will wait til August or September though.

Can't - stop -looking!!!!!!!!! I swear my girls have had all the signs for weeks. My roo even had his way with my SS yesterday. I am freaking out in anticipation but I know that nothing is going to happen since I can't stop waiting. However, I am dying over here. No matter how many times I swear I won't stop stalking my girls every move so that they will lay, I can't help it.

Back
Top Bottom