First Egg Countdown

My brown leghorn finally laid her first egg at 2 days away from being 24 weeks old! It was about time!

Congrats!
clap.gif

Well today my ameraucana Margo surprised me with a mint green egg! I didn't see that coming- she didn't look at all ready to me... She doesn't have a fluffy butt (compared to her "sisters"), no squatting, and with her pea comb I didn't think she was close at all.

I went out I check on their food and water, and came out again not 10 minutes later and there it was, right in the run! That's so like her, too, laying wherever she feels like. She has always been my little sassy pants. Or maybe it just caught her by surprise!

Well today my ameraucana Margo surprised me with a mint green egg! I didn't see that coming- she didn't look at all ready to me... She doesn't have a fluffy butt (compared to her "sisters"), no squatting, and with her pea comb I didn't think she was close at all.
I went out I check on their food and water, and came out again not 10 minutes later and there it was, right in the run! That's so like her, too, laying wherever she feels like. She has always been my little sassy pants. Or maybe it just caught her by surprise!
usually the first eggs get them by surprise so they lay them randomly, congrats dont those ester eggers eggs look awesome

So we have five hens - 1 Hyline (came to us already laying and 20weeks old at the time, in July), 2 Buff Orps and 2 RIRs. Our Buffs and RIRs hatched sometime in late March/early April. And until today, only our Hyline has been laying - yes, a bloody long wait.

Holy moly, what a wait!

But today, one of our Buffs, the one with the largest comb and wattle, laid her first egg!

The Buff, named "Shelley":

And her first egg (the smallest one on the left):

It's small, but perfect. And to make it even better, she used the nesting box on her first try! Good girl, Shelley! I have praised her mightily
wee.gif

Now, for the other three to start....

My cream legbar hen, Tina laid her first egg today. Unfortunately, it appears she was taken by surprise and was on the roost when it happened. I found a cracked bluee egg on the coop floor this morning. Better luck tomorrow Tina.

So we have five hens - 1 Hyline (came to us already laying and 20weeks old at the time, in July), 2 Buff Orps and 2 RIRs. Our Buffs and RIRs hatched sometime in late March/early April. And until today, only our Hyline has been laying - yes, a bloody long wait.

Holy moly, what a wait!

But today, one of our Buffs, the one with the largest comb and wattle, laid her first egg!

The Buff, named "Shelley":

And her first egg (the smallest one on the left):

It's small, but perfect. And to make it even better, she used the nesting box on her first try! Good girl, Shelley! I have praised her mightily
wee.gif

Now, for the other three to start....
CONGRATS ITS AWESOME ISNT IT

Back
Top Bottom