First Egg Countdown

I mark on the calendar who lays on what day. I just put the first letter of their names on the day that they lay. I don't think my dh knew what all those letters were about because he thought I was crazy when I told him he'd have to keep track of my charting when I went out of town for a few days to see my mom. I didn't know eyes could roll in such a big circle! My three hens that are laying right now all lay different colors, so I always know who laid it. I love the stamp and spread sheet ideas! If you made a spread sheet, you could also keep track of the weight of each egg....hmmmmm.

I do have a spreadsheet. That way I can look back and tell, for the most part, who is laying and who isn't. Some of my breeder girls are a little harder because I have several of them and they all lay similar eggs.

This keeping track thing really does peak my interest but I just don't know how I'd know who's egg is who's. I have 5 girls all of laying age but am only getting 2 eggs a day. I know one of my layers is my RIR but Idk who my other layer is.
I've heard some pretty clever ideas to find out who's laying, like putting food coloring on the hens hiney, or lipstick. Anyone ever actually do this? Did it work?

I think our first egg is actually from one of the Wyandottes. As after I brought it in, it was ever so slightly tinted.

Here it is compared to one of the eggs I've been getting from our CSA (on the right). Maybe it is from our Leghorn.

Oooh, I can't tell! I'm going to have to catch whoever's doing it to know for sure!

All of my girls turned 21 weeks old yesterday.

Last edited:
This keeping track thing really does peak my interest but I just don't know how I'd know who's egg is who's. I have 5 girls all of laying age but am only getting 2 eggs a day. I know one of my layers is my RIR but Idk who my other layer is.
I've heard some pretty clever ideas to find out who's laying, like putting food coloring on the hens hiney, or lipstick. Anyone ever actually do this? Did it work?

You have to be a chicken nerd and watch them lay. I can't tell on all of my eggs, but I can tell who laid them on most of them. Study the color, shape and any marks. (My EE always has a swirl at the pointy end of the egg)

Last edited:
I think our first egg is actually from one of the Wyandottes. As after I brought it in, it was ever so slightly tinted.

Here it is compared to one of the eggs I've been getting from our CSA (on the right). Maybe it is from our Leghorn.

Oooh, I can't tell! I'm going to have to catch whoever's doing it to know for sure!

All of my girls turned 21 weeks old yesterday.
Congrats!

Congrats!

Thanks!
wee.gif

I was so excited when I saw it... and then I was so afraid I'd trip over something or drop it!!! LOL

I'm going to go ahead and say it's out of Zoe, our Brown Leghorn... Which means my wyandottes should be starting up anyday now too.

Does the first laying hen have any kind of encouraging effect on the others once she lays her first egg? (I'm thinking along the lines of how menses tend to synchronize amongst humans because of the pheromones or hormones or whatever it is that causes that, don't know if anything similar occurs with chickens)

Does the first laying hen have any kind of encouraging effect on the others once she lays her first egg? (I'm thinking along the lines of how menses tend to synchronize amongst humans because of the pheromones or hormones or whatever it is that causes that, don't know if anything similar occurs with chickens)
Nope, they won't lay until their bodies are ready. It will however help with where they lay. They see that egg in the nesting box, and they'll want to lay there too.

Still nothing from the barnevelder. The barnyard mutts I hatched June 4th will be 20 weeks old on Monday, and are looking red in the face and suddenly less flighty. I'm betting they lay before the Barnie hatched April 9th. I bet my husband. :D

Congrats on people's first eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom