First Egg Countdown

I have 2 ISA Browns and 1 RIR all exactly 19 weeks today. (Unfortunately I had to give away my handsome RIR Rooster on Sunday because some neighbor complained). 1 ISA Marcy started laying 11 days ago, the other ISA Pepe 6 days ago. Since then we are getting 2 eggs a day. The RIR Tree-Trunks makes so much noise all day but hasn't laid an egg yet.

However, I am concerned with the size of the eggs:

Marcy's eggs are only 2 inch in length and Pepe's are even smaller 1.8 inch. They are more like a pigeon's egg. I asked the feed store gal and she said give them a week or so, but its already 11 days for Marcy. Judging by the size of eggs I am seeing here, mine seem real tiny, so I am worried if there is something wrong with their feed, or it is just the way its going to be for them?
I am giving them organic layer feed from the feed store and supplement with left-overs from the kitchen. They are beautiful birds and otherwise look very healthy.

Looking for input especially from someone who may have encountered a similar situation.

BTW I do have a joke to tell about my birds and my kids. The Sunday we gave our rooster away, we let them have a fun time with some treats and running around. My 5 yr old son goes: "Dad do you know that Tree-Trunks is Beak's wife?". Waiting for the awkward moment I asked, "how do you know?" and he innocently goes, "because they are both dark brown". Breathing a sigh of relief, I said "Well they are all Beak's wives" . At this moment my 10 year old daughter interjected: "Then they must be Mormons" . I got a big laugh out of it. Hopefully I am not offending anyone by posting this, just wanted to share some laughs.
smile.png

Here are some pictures of my cuties:

Beak & Tree-Trunks

Beak a few minutes before going away.

Beak in a sad moment. As if he knew he was being given away

Marcy was also sad

Pepe eating some bread-crumbs

Quote:
Don't worry, they'll gradually get bigger over time. Some girls just take their time about it :p.

Ok so I opened up the nesting boxes but the chickens r now sleeping in them...what should I do? Can't stay out and watch them all night.....family already thinks I am weird lol
Put them on the roost every night. After about a week, they should get the hang of it.
Hi everyone! I was just wondering how old are black English orpingtons when they begin to lay. I have a 6 month old hen an she's not as developed as others I have seen and she's not yet laying. Shoul I be concerned? I also have 3 six month old EEs that's haven't began to lay yet! Also have 3 white rock hens that are the same age and they haven't started laying either! Can someone explain this to me?
My English Orps were just a hair short of 7 months old when they started laying. They are a bit slower to mature.

Booberry finally gave up her first egg!! Yay! All she's been doing the entire summer is just getting bigger and bigger. I was worried I was just going to end up with an eggless forklift chicken!

They have been in their coop and roosting for almost two and a half months...I could try that but they don't let really let me pick them up yet...I might just have to close it up again...thank u for all your posts they have been very helpful ;)

They have been in their coop and roosting for almost two and a half months...I could try that but they don't let really let me pick them up yet...I might just have to close it up again...thank u for all your posts they have been very helpful ;)

If you go out after dark they don't really move. Once they settle in they don't try to run away, making it really easy to put them up in their roost. :)

Back
Top Bottom