First Egg Countdown

Quote:
I highly recommend the seller, she is a BYCer under the name sonew123. All of her Marans that I've hatched are huge, and lay gorgeous dark eggs. I grin like a crazy loon every time I see Booberry queening around the yard, she's so gorgeous.

I found eggs around and was told to just put an egg (store bought) in the nest box to remind them where they were supposed to lay. That worked
BTW I had two eggs in the nesting box for a couple weeks as an incentive to lay. Today someone brought them in mistaking them for new eggs. I figured, hey, might as welll throw them away now as the hens are laying. I was at the sink and dropped one into the disposal-it missed and cracked out-floated in the residual sink water swirling out white liquid and the proverbial rotten egg smell! I had to reach into the stinkin' water, put in the disposal thingy to start it up and empty the wateut then throw in the other egg and grind them both up. LOL it was so stinky everyone but me had to leave the house and they were in other rooms. Learn something new every day.
Most people use plastic easter eggs or golf balls for their nest boxes. This serves several purposes. One, you don't have a repeat of what happen to you. Two, when the pullets go into the nest to investigate and see the plastic eggs, it is normal for them to see if they are something good to eat. When they find out they are not anything to eat, they lose interest in trying to eat them. (Good for when the real egg is in there!) This helps save you from having an egg eater! Third, the plastic eggs helps show the pullets where they should lay an egg.

I agree to your three points but I have not had a problem to date.
4/6 eggs this am and finally a buff orp is bowing to me! Looking for a new egg soon

Red red red comb. Gotta be close, right? I bought some eggs last week. Beeps are probably just laughing at me.

Can anyone help identify this beauty laid for the first time today? I have 21 week old pullets. Its either a golden comet, salmon faverolle, or an australorp. One of my salmons has been very loud and squatting but the egg is fairly large for a first-timer.

Close, but not quite there yet.  Around the eye needs to be more red.  Plus, they want you to have to buy eggs this week too.

I'll post some more of the two EEs ... They're both really read around the comb and the face. I'll try to take some face close ups. Thanks for the reply!

Can anyone help identify this beauty laid for the first time today? I have 21 week old pullets. Its either a golden comet, salmon faverolle, or an australorp. One of my salmons has been very loud and squatting but the egg is fairly large for a first-timer.

None of those breeds should lay green eggs. Do you have any EE's?

Back
Top Bottom