First Egg Countdown

Pics
Quote:
Welcome to everyone who had joined us!

The squatting starts happening within a couple of weeks of laying. My girls pretty religiously start laying 2 weeks after the first squat. Last week my EE squatted so I'm keeping a close eye on her. Right now she's too busy sulking every time we come near her though, so I can't tell if she's still thinking about eggs
roll.png

SHe's going to be the death of me.

Great, thanks for the reply!! All my girls have very red combs and wattles so I've been anxiously awaiting the squat. I'm so excited that we're getting closer but I'm trying not to dwell on it too much. A watch pot and all... LOL! Thanks again for the input!!!

With my luck they'll start laying right as I take them to the fair in three weeks and I'll miss the 1st egg. LOL!

Quote:
I came home for lunch and my BO was in the nest box laying her first egg! She'll be 22 weeks on Tuesday, so 21 1/2 weeks about. Took her sweet time since she's been squatting for three weeks now! All you have to do is stand next to her and she'll squat for you!

I cam home from work to our 18 wk old ( almost 19) RSL Maple in the nest box, and... laid her first egg! I posted pic in the posting " Maple laid her first egg" I only have one other girl that has been squatting since last week. She is one week younger than Maple.

Ok so i went out to clean the chicken coop a minute ago and there were two eggs on the floor....I have wooden eggs in the coop and i thought they were both wooden but on was bigger...i banged it against the wall...it cracked. I got my first egg!!!! So i took the wooden ones out so i will know next time its a real egg.

83885_imag0100-1.jpg

Quote:
My Australorps started at 22 weeks and I still have two of five to start at 24 weeks.

You should have an egg soon!

Ron

Quote:
My Australorps started at 22 weeks and I still have two of five to start at 24 weeks.

You should have an egg soon!

Ron

Thanks Ron for the info! I had heard that they were late layers and some not laying till nearly 6 months old. But the waiting is killing me!! I have 2 girls that have very bright red combs and wattles, faces also. But no squatting for me, no investigating the nest boxes or anything like that yet. These are my first chickens and I can barely take the waiting for that first egg!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom