First Egg Countdown

Pics
That is great that so many are getting first eggs
thumbsup.gif

I have a feeling one of my blue Andalusian's will be the first to lay, hopefully with in a couple of weeks.
pop.gif
Just waiting.

Last edited:
Our two Buff Orpingtons are 25 weeks old today and still no eggs.
hmm.png
They have been squatting for about 3 weeks. No signs of interest in the nest box (unless you count roosting on top of it at night!) We keep searching the whole yard, all the bushes and nooks and crannies, under the coop, everywhere, half expecting to find a stash hidden somewhere.

We have two older girls doing a fine job of demonstrating proper egg-laying technique. Still no new eggs.
idunno.gif

These are the first we raised from chicks--the older girls came to us already a year old.

I appreciate the encouraging words about the benefits of late layers. Obviously ours are well past the 18 weeks we heard was typical.

Congrats to those already getting eggs. At least we can live vicarously looking at your pics.
caf.gif

12 of mine are BO's too so I won't get my hopes up next week when they will be 20 weeks old. I do have 3 barred rocks (same age)and one has already got her comb and wattle and it's real red so I am assuming she will be first-got some wooden eggs today to paint like brown eggs and put in the nesting boxes-seem if I can jump start them
big_smile.png

I know it varies bird to bird, flock to flock.But around here alot of people don't seem to mind if there buff orps don't start to lay until 22_23 wks. but they will be great layers once warmed up.

Congrats to everyone getting eggs!
clap.gif

DawnCols.........they'll start up soon - and they will repay you in eggs. Orps lay lovely, large eggs. (after you get through the pullet egg phase - first couple of months laying)

I noticed at some point between last night and this morning someone went in two of the nesting boxes and kicked out a bunch of shavings. No one had touched it before and it's been set up with shavings and a golf ball for a week maybe? Should I take that as someone was checking out the real estate and thinking about laying or someone was just being spunky and felt like kicking the shavings out?

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>
That's a good sign!

Mine did that--Kicked the nesting material all the way out. They are getting better, but still like to kick the stuff out.

How old and what type of chickens do you have?

Ron

My girls are almost 19 weeks old and no eggs yet. I have two Buff Orpingtons, two Ameraucanas and one Black Australorp. I had ordered two BAs from the hatchery, but Margaret turned out to be a roo. We culled him last month.

We have opened up their nesting boxes (I had to cover them because they were sleeping/pooping in them) and put wooden eggs in them but nothing yet. My BA is the only one whose comb has turned red so far. The other four are yellow/pink. Is this a good indicator of when they'll start laying?

Their names are Millie, Molly, Myrtle, Maisie and Maude.
78307_hens_811.jpg

Just got my first indication of a "egg squat" last night and was sooooo excited!! Ironically, just yesterday, I watched a video that someone on this forum posted so I knew what it should look like. It was from my BO leader of the pack (of 3) Beatrice. She'll be 19 weeks old on Monday 8/8/11. I tested her and she did it about 5 times. In explaining it to hubby, I felt like it was Christmas!!!

Does anybody have any idea how long after they start squatting, they start laying?

Back
Top Bottom