First Egg Countdown

Hooter's first egg

One of the Golden Girls checking out the egg.

We got our first egg yesterday from our Easter Egger, Hooter. It was in the nesting box right next to one of the fake ceramic eggs. She is the first to lay and waiting on the Bantam Cochin who is the same age. (19 weeks). our Buff Orpintons, or as we call them the Golden Girls, are about a month behind the bantams. Also have 4 black sexlinks who are about another month behind.

Saw her this morning in the coop by the nesting box again when I brought in a bunch of weeds that I had just pulled. All the others came to investigate. She stayed in the coop. Hopefully have another egg soon.

11 Barred Plymouth Rock pullets at 18 weeks. I've raised chickens for over 30 years off and on. Still can't wait for that first egg again!
Going to make black sexlinks this spring.

11 Barred Plymouth Rock pullets at 18 weeks. I've raised chickens for over 30 years off and on. Still can't wait for that first egg again!
Going to make black sexlinks this spring.

What male are you going to use? I've made sex links from a Welsummer male over a Barred Rock female. They are excellent layers.

Last edited:
I am ready to give up on my chickens! I have 6 hens total. A 27 week old barred rock (comb is red), 27 week old Cochin (comb is turning red), 25 week cuckoo maran (comb is red), 2 22 week Easter egger Cochin mixes (combs are turning red), and a 2 year old laying Easter egger (very red comb). No squatting has been seen. We got the 3 Easter eggers about 2 months ago and the guy said the 2 yr old consistently lays 3-4x per week. Well we have nada. I'm doing everything everyone suggests (good food, nesting box herbs, good weather [south Texas], fake eggs in the boxes, oyster shells, etc...). Someone is scratching around in the boxes but still nothing. With every dozen eggs we buy my husband goes out and mutters threats to them lol. Any other suggestions? They free range in my yard all day, there's no where to hide the eggs that I wouldn't see. They're stressing me out! I feel like they're too old not to be producing.

I am ready to give up on my chickens! I have 6 hens total. A 27 week old barred rock (comb is red), 27 week old Cochin (comb is turning red), 25 week cuckoo maran (comb is red), 2 22 week Easter egger Cochin mixes (combs are turning red), and a 2 year old laying Easter egger (very red comb). No squatting has been seen. We got the 3 Easter eggers about 2 months ago and the guy said the 2 yr old consistently lays 3-4x per week. Well we have nada. I'm doing everything everyone suggests (good food, nesting box herbs, good weather [south Texas], fake eggs in the boxes, oyster shells, etc...). Someone is scratching around in the boxes but still nothing. With every dozen eggs we buy my husband goes out and mutters threats to them lol. Any other suggestions? They free range in my yard all day, there's no where to hide the eggs that I wouldn't see. They're stressing me out! I feel like they're too old not to be producing.

They are going to take longer to start laying with the shorter days. They will lay when their bodies are ready.

So glad I found this! I have 4 Swedish Flower Hens and 3 Dominique ladies at 20 weeks old now and we have some SUPER red combs and wattles are dropping overnight!

It wasn't much longer at all! My little Loretta laid out first egg today!
1f604.png
1f604.png
1f60d.png

Back
Top Bottom