First Egg Countdown

Bak-bak-bak-bak-bak-bak-bak-BAKAWK = Egg song. Super loud. They are very proud after egg laying. To tell who laid which egg, besides color, you have to catch them after. I'm usually home so I was able to see a lot of my chickens first eggs. I can pretty much tell daily who laid what. :) Its cool. Like insider info. Lol. Before they lay their combs and waddles completely fill out and turn red and they will squat for you. Not a normal "Okay...I guess you can touch me" squat. Its a "Yeah! Scratch my back!!" squat. Funny. Love my girls.

I'll join. My girls are 25 weeks. Their combs have recently gotten redder and started to grow and They have become much more vocal. Hope to get some eggs from them any day now.

So squatting means they going into heat..sort of
I think it means they are mature enough to accepting a breeding male- I am a newbie too but I noticed my roos paid NO attention to my pullets until they began to squat. They began laying shortly after that.

My red was sitting in coop acting like laying but nothing happen. Would be my first egg. She is 16 weeks comb getting red. Do you think?
She's practicing.
So squatting means they going into heat..sort of?
Squatting for mating is a sign of sexual maturity. Most roosters will not mate a pullet until she is ready. Eggs also come with sexual maturity, as they are the means for reproduction.

We got our first egg saturday. Not sure which bird. We have. 6 productiin reds and they all look the same. They are around 23 weeks old

Oh that's exciting. I have two that are suppose to be RIRs but I bet they are production reds (I don't know how to tell). They are ~21 weeks now. I can't wait for them to lay, I'm so excited. They are almost out of their starter/grow feed so today I went to the store and got them laying feed, oyster shells, more grit, and scratch. My poor dog was like, where's all my goodies?
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom