First Egg Countdown

I have 4 chickens all approximately 20 weeks old.  A week ago I got my first egg but nothing since.  Is this normal??
Chickens are:  Barred rock, Black Sex Link, Red Production and little bantam.

Thank you!!

Yes, it's normal. Each hen develops differently and some will lay an egg, then take a break for a bit. It is all part of their bodies adjusting to laying.

Now if she starts walking like a penguin, then there is a problem.

Thank you so much for your response! I'm new at the whole backyard chicken thing - but having a blast! I don't know which one laid the egg so I'll keep a close eye on all of them.

Well I am new to this we had chickens when I was little but never had to take care of them, I have a questions if someone can help, I have 7 chickens about 18 weeks old, free range , found an egg in a lawn chair saturday then another in the recycle bin sunday, so my dad told me to keep them in the coop/run for a couple days. Monday I actually had 1 egg in the nesting box. question is why only 1 egg if all the chickens are the same age? and do I really need to keep them cooped up so to speak, they look sad... lol

Ok so I opened up the nesting boxes but the chickens r now sleeping in them...what should I do? Can't stay out and watch them all night.....family already thinks I am weird lol

lwysongchicks, don't worry that you are getting only one egg for now, my chickens are all of the same age (20 weeks) and only 5 or 6 are laying so far. Each chicken is an individual and reach maturity at different times. Some may not lay until 30 weeks old or more.

Eyotig, for some reason your chickens are choosing to sleep in the nesting boxes rather than the roost. Are the nesting boxes higher than the roost? Most chickens will want to sleep on the highest point possible. If this is not your situation, then if it were me I would probably re-close the nesting boxes until you find an egg or two laid somewhere else. In the big picture, since my chickens never seem to lay an egg at night, perhaps sleeping in the nesting boxes at night will not conflict with egg-laying during the day? Your nesting boxes will get dirty faster though. Hope this helps!

Ok so I opened up the nesting boxes but the chickens r now sleeping in them...what should I do? Can't stay out and watch them all night.....family already thinks I am weird lol

I moved a bunch of younger girls into my big coop recently and being scared of the big girls they try to sleep in nesting boxes. I just go in after dark and move them up to the roosts. They're slowly starting to get it. Good luck. :)

Well I am new to this we had chickens when I was little but  never had to take care of them, I have a questions if someone can help, I have 7 chickens about 18 weeks old, free range , found an egg in a lawn chair saturday then another in the recycle bin sunday, so my dad told me to keep them in the coop/run for a couple days. Monday I actually had 1 egg in the nesting box. question is why only 1 egg if all the chickens are the same age? and do I really need to keep them cooped up so to speak, they look sad... lol

Yes! For a few days keep them locked up so they figure out where to lay and build a little routine. If you feel guilty just throw out some treats and greens. :)

Hi everyone! I was just wondering how old are black English orpingtons when they begin to lay. I have a 6 month old hen an she's not as developed as others I have seen and she's not yet laying. Shoul I be concerned? I also have 3 six month old EEs that's haven't began to lay yet! Also have 3 white rock hens that are the same age and they haven't started laying either! Can someone explain this to me?

I'll join I have 4 Easter Eggers that are 20 weeks old and 2 SLWs and 1 ISA Brown that are 15-20 weeks old.
D.gif

I have always had my nesting boxes open, and when they were younger, my three girls slept in them. But as they got older, they moved to the roosts. Except one EE. She has not yet laid her first egg (the others started last week) and she still sleeps in the box. A maturity thing maybe?

Back
Top Bottom