First Egg Countdown

She does not stay in the entire day. She will do the normal 30 minutes or so that the others do when they lay an egg. Then she will go hang with the rest of them.

Quote:
Hrm. I'd find a way to increase her calcium intake then. She doesn't sound broody. It could be that the others are keeping her away from calcuim sources, and she just doesn't have enough to make a shell anymore. Oyster shell mixed into the feed is always a good bet.

That's why it's so peculiar. They have oyster shell mixed into their feed. And a bowl of it out. She's not the lowest in the pecking order and has no problem muscling in on the yogurt bowl when I put it out.
hu.gif

Quote:
If that's the case, that's not a good sign. Sometimes hens will go through a short period where they misfire a couple of eggs, but the longer it goes on, the more likely something is wrong with her reproductive tract that will eventually turn fatal. I hope she works through it and returns back to laying, but you need to keep an eye on her for signs of declining health and internal laying.

look what i just found in the coop!!!
our girls are only 16w today so i havent been checking the nesting boxes daily... but this evening, i peeked in to make sure they were clean and found these!!!!!!! I thought tjey were too young for another week or so... Not sure if it is one of my girls who laid yesterday and today or two of my girls... Guess only time will tell! How exciting!!

look what i just found in the coop!!!
our girls are only 16w today so i havent been checking the nesting boxes daily... but this evening, i peeked in to make sure they were clean and found these!!!!!!! I thought tjey were too young for another week or so... Not sure if it is one of my girls who laid yesterday and today or two of my girls... Guess only time will tell! How exciting!!

Probably two different pullets because the eggs look different to me.

Ok, so since my pullet laid her first egg on Saturday afternoon, I have not gotten another egg. I thought I might start getting them regularly. What is the laying pace when a hen goes into her first laying cycle? The hen in question is a 19 week old black sex link.
That can be normal as well, nothing to worry about.
First egg ever from two of my RIRs.
Congrats!
That's kinda what I was thinking... Isn't 16 weeks early for it to be 2 of my girls?
Congrats! You have 2 pullets laying, those eggs are not from the same pullet. Are you sure of their age? That is young for starting to lay.

That can be normal as well, nothing to worry about.
Congrats!
Congrats! You have 2 pullets laying, those eggs are not from the same pullet. Are you sure of their age? That is young for starting to lay.

My red sex link laid her first egg at 14 weeks old and has been laying steadily every since. What breed is yours, Mrs.Lumpy?

They can lay young, especially for a high production breed like a sex link, but I prefer mine to lay later. Early laying can lead to laying issues later in their life.

Back
Top Bottom