First Egg Countdown

I kept waiting and whining to my husband that my girls weren't laying yet and then I caught my biggest EE squeezing her fat behind out from under my shed.
I closed off the shed last night with 4x6s and sure enough this morning they were going crazy, trying to find a way under it.
I kept putting her in the nest box to no avail. She wanted to lay under the oil tank. Then under the barbecue. No, NO! I closed everything off until she had no choice but to go into the nest box. Within 30 minutes I had my first pretty green egg :)
ure7ate4.jpg

By the end of the day, I had three more!
e5u2ure3.jpg

Wow those are so pretty, congrats!.....I wonder how many are now under your shed.
I thought my leghorns were slowing down with the cold weather, and then I followed One over into the neighbors pine tree hedge, where she had a secret nest of about seventeen white eggs she was guarding.
I don't know why some are egg hiders, but it can get a little frustrating.

Well little Dorothy has been laying for 12 days straight now, she's still the only one. Yesterday she gave me my first double yolker!

My other RSL squatted for me today though, and she's been checking out the nesting boxes for quite awhile now. Should be any day now for her!

Walked outside this morning to my Beep1 (the non laying EE of the same age as the EE who's been laying for a week) And she looked like a different chicken! Her comb looked like fire engine red, was puffy and looked way bigger and she was hollering at me like a crazy lady. I'm hoping since she's a week behind her sister, maybe her eggs will be bigger and...tomorrow! :)
Beep2 like clockwork, another egg in the nest this morning. :)

Walked outside this morning to my Beep1 (the non laying EE of the same age as the EE who's been laying for a week) And she looked like a different chicken! Her comb looked like fire engine red, was puffy and looked way bigger and she was hollering at me like a crazy lady. I'm hoping since she's a week behind her sister, maybe her eggs will be bigger and...tomorrow!
smile.png

Beep2 like clockwork, another egg in the nest this morning.
smile.png

cheering on Beep1!

Ony is 4 for 4 now. Today's egg was slightly bigger than the past 2 days. Her welsummer sister Tea squatted for me a few days ago but only that once, haven't gotten her to do it since. Maybe she was just startled and not actually squatting. I'm going to try every day until she cops a squat lol. Her egg should be darker than Ony's so I should be able to tell the difference when she does start. Her combs shootin up like a weed and bright bright red. Even my EE's little pea comb is getting bigger so hopefully I get more than one egg a day here pretty soon.

I hope these freeloaders lay sometime this year! My oldest two (barred rock and welsummer) are both 20 weeks...rounded down. Hopefully soon. No squatting or singing. The wait is killing me.

Back
Top Bottom