First Egg Countdown

Congrats Jalen 911! Don't worry that the eggs are small, it took ours about a month of laying to even reach medium size, and we have two Buff Orpingtons along with four other breeds. Their first eggs were only about half-size - between 1.0 and 1.5 OZ. Now, after two+ months of laying, most of the eggs are between 2 and 2.5 OZ. Just hang in there and enjoy those little eggs - they taste great and had the brightest orange yolks I had ever seen!

I'm going to look forward to checking the nesting boxes each day now, especially as the other two girls start laying. It felt like getting a gift this morning:) I just hope our lessened daylight hours won't impede their laying. I'm really not wanting to put any lightbulbs in their coop or use electricity, since the coop is up against our house and a coop fire could take out our home as well. I'm so excited that we are getting into the laying phase though. In a most nerdy fashion I kinda feel teary~ my sweet little girls are growing up:)

Yeah, I felt the same way! Don't be surprised if your new layers skip quite a few days at first, until they get up to full speed laying. It seemed like it took ours 2-4 weeks to get up to the ol' 4-7 eggs per week that we like to see them laying. Skipping four days or more at first is not uncommon.

For the Blessing of the Animals one Sunday at Church, I brought a box of 4 kittens (hoping to find them homes too) and a Speckled Sussex.
I got the service wrong and the blessing of the animals was during the earlier service so I found myself with the only animals inside of St. John's Episcopal Cathedral.

The kittens were overflowing the box - of course. My daughter had her hands full trying to keep them contained.

The speckled Sussex calmed down the minute the music started and was perfect......Until Communion.

As the priest raised the bread (Big Cracker Wafer) to bless it, the speckled chose that moment to lay her egg and announce her egg was being laid. I was mortified, But when we went up for communion, I brought the chicken and the egg. My daughter had the kittens who finally decided to sleep.

It was not a first egg story but it was the first egg ever laid within St. John's Cathedral in Jacksonville. Every year they still talk about it.

The story has evolved - the last version was embellished to sound like she laid the egg as I presented her for blessing.

We also found a home for two of the kittens which made me very happy.

My chicken was different too after. She walked a little taller - I cannot explain it better than that. She really did seem to like the music.

Caroline

We have 3 girls and got our first egg yesterday (could have been the day before since I didn't check the nesting boxes since I thought we were never going to get eggs, then we got our second one today. They are beautiful light brown in color, and much smaller than I anticipated. I'm guessing it was the langshan since she will lay 'medium" size eggs. We have either an Americauna or an easter egger (not sure which she is) that will also lay medium sized eggs but I think hers will be blue or green. The only other option would be our buff orphington but she will lay large eggs and both these are smaller than I'd picture a large egg being.

Disappointed at the fact that the eggs were smaller than I anticipated, but still excited!
Don't worry about the size. They will get bigger as their bodies adjust to laying. Congrats!

Congratulations! I still enjoy my egg collection every day.

For the Blessing of the Animals one Sunday at Church, I brought a box of 4 kittens (hoping to find them homes too) and a Speckled Sussex.
I got the service wrong and the blessing of the animals was during the earlier service so I found myself with the only animals inside of St. John's Episcopal Cathedral.

The kittens were overflowing the box - of course. My daughter had her hands full trying to keep them contained.

The speckled Sussex calmed down the minute the music started and was perfect......Until Communion.

As the priest raised the bread (Big Cracker Wafer) to bless it, the speckled chose that moment to lay her egg and announce her egg was being laid. I was mortified, But when we went up for communion, I brought the chicken and the egg. My daughter had the kittens who finally decided to sleep.

It was not a first egg story but it was the first egg ever laid within St. John's Cathedral in Jacksonville. Every year they still talk about it.

The story has evolved - the last version was embellished to sound like she laid the egg as I presented her for blessing.

We also found a home for two of the kittens which made me very happy.

My chicken was different too after. She walked a little taller - I cannot explain it better than that. She really did seem to like the music.

Caroline
That is too funny!

My barred rock, Justin Bieber laid an egg right in front of me today! 3 of my girls started laying within 2 days!!! I saw my rooster show her where the nest box is, which was really cool. She kept checking it out, and he started growling, led her up there and layed down. He got out, she went in and popped the egg out!

My barred rock, Justin Bieber laid an egg right in front of me today! 3 of my girls started laying within 2 days!!! I saw my rooster show her where the nest box is, which was really cool. She kept checking it out, and he started growling, led her up there and layed down. He got out, she went in and popped the egg out!
Congrats! It is really neat to see them lay the egg for the first time.

Biebs brown egg! She didn't sing an egg song like I was expecting. The laying process was very quiet.
Congrats! Love the little white speckles.

Ok Ladies, I need some help. I have 23.5 week old EE's who still haven't laid an egg. This is my first time with chickens so I'm new to this. Can you tell by the waddles if they will lay soon?

#1 Princess Jasmine (Can you tell I have little girls)

#2 on left Big Mama, #3 on right Anna (Anastasia)

#4 Ariel

#5 Midget

#6 Snow White

And just for show... my super sexy rooster "General"! He's so pretty!

Thanks Ladies and Gents!

Back
Top Bottom