First Egg Countdown

Thanks everyone for sharing face pics of hens that are starting to lay. That really helps me on the single comb girls, still wondering on my EE in question though with the pea comb. Thanks again for the helpful pictures, I don't think my other girls are quite there yet, although I have read that the redness and comb growth can sprout overnight almost.

Well now none for two days is that normal for when they first start its been awhile since I had my last flock I can't remember? My Seabright has layed every single day since she started unless she lays late the day before so that's all I have to compare too?
Yes, it's normal. Sometimes they start then stop for a bit, while their bodies adjust to laying. It's an individual thing, others will lay right from the start.

Thanks everyone for sharing face pics of hens that are starting to lay. That really helps me on the single comb girls, still wondering on my EE in question though with the pea comb. Thanks again for the helpful pictures, I don't think my other girls are quite there yet, although I have read that the redness and comb growth can sprout overnight almost.
For EE's, you need to look for redness around the eyes - you won't see much on the comb. Here is my olive egger, she was laying at the time this picture was taken.

I'm still waiting on my EE to start laying they are only 24 weeks I'm so very impatient. I'm growing old here waiting...
old.gif

Does anyone have pictures of their hens faces at the point when they started laying, mine are 18 weeks old and I am not sure how big and red their faces are supposed to get before laying. I have 18 girls that are Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Delawares, Easter Eggers, and Barred Rocks. I haven't gotten any eggs yet so I am very antsy waiting! I keep checking all over their run and coop in case they lay their firsts somewhere random. Some are getting redder than others, one of my reddest girls is an EE but since their comb isn't normal I am not sure how much its supposed to grow, she has checked out the nest boxes a couple times this past week, so maybe soon?

This photo was taken the day after Pinkie Pie (the Salmon Faverolle) far left, started laying.

And this photo was taken exactly two days before Blackbeard (the EE, left) started laying. She was being really noisy, they tend to get really vocal up to a few days before they begin laying.

My EEs are maturing seemingly overnight. Caramel suddenly sprouted a big, squishy (pea? cushion? who knows?) comb and today I noticed Runny has a very red face. Plus Runny has been sitting down a lot out in the run while the other chickens are walking around. They just turned 23 weeks old. Hopefully within a couple of weeks!

21.5 weeks and waiting waiting waiting! My Cuckoo Marans are real red in the face, so are the blrw. Nobody squats.

Wake up and lay me an egg!

The EE's don't look near as ready.

Im expecting Fancy Pants to be last.

Congrats! Mess up the nest in the floor to encourage her to lay elsewhere. She'll find the boxes eventually. Look for redness around the eyes. Red, not pink. This is a welsummer, but it gives you an idea of how red they need to be. This was a couple of weeks before she started laying. Most likely, you have 2 layers. Getting 2 eggs in the same day from 1 pullet is very rare.
I will mess her little corner up a bit and see what she does ...she has been laying everyday thou ..my RIR keep checking out the nesting boxes...but no eggs from them yet but I think soon ...

Hmmm, well maybe we still have a little while on my one EE girl then, also two of my barred rocks are reddening up and one is acting very vocal and agitated today. Come to think of it a few of them are grumpy today, its like my girls turned into moody teenagers overnight! I have 18 - 18 week old hens, yikes!! Here are their pictures as of last night. Maybe I should check my BR girls pelvis later today? Is it normal for them to act agitated before laying? Nobody is really squatting yet but I have a couple roosters, could that throw off the squatting?

Miss Vocal and Agitated

My most likely EE to lay first (looks redder in person)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom