First Egg Countdown

Wanda, my Barred Rock, who was hatched on September 26, laid her first egg today. I knew she was ready!

That picture was taken 12 days ago.

Here's her first egg, which I think is a pretty good size for a first!

And another pullet from the same hatch started squatting this week. Way to go girls!

Congrats! Nice sized egg for a first egg! Might be a double yolker.

Last edited:
One of my 24 week old black stars squatted again
celebrate.gif

She is getting some comb growth...I'll try to take a picture.

Last edited:
I had two eggs when I got home today. I'm pretty sure one was from the Austrolorp that had already laid, but my RIR was throwing a fit and left me one. Now one of my EE's has parked it in there. That surprised me. Hopefully I will have a cool green egg today!

got my first egg TODAY! Came home from work at about 4:30, and as I have been doing for the last week in anticipation, I opened up the hen house and looked it. No egg on the ground (I kinda figured the first ones would be in random places). Then I opened the nesting box and there it was! A tiny little brown egg with little splotches. I'm SO proud! I wonder which of the 3 laid it... They're all about a week apart at 23, 22 and 21 weeks, they're Barred Rocks. They starting showing all the signs about a week ago so I went out and grabbed them some oyster shell and presto! We have an egg!! As I nabbed it from the nest, I wondered how SHE must feel today if I'm this proud haha.

Wanda, my Barred Rock, who was hatched on September 26, laid her first egg today. I knew she was ready!

That picture was taken 12 days ago.

Here's her first egg, which I think is a pretty good size for a first!

And another pullet from the same hatch started squatting this week. Way to go girls!

WOW! you're egg looks so different from mine! My Barred Rock laid her first today too, and its much smaller and much darker....the variation is so strange...I wonder if, when my other two start laying, their eggs will all look a bit different until they really get going

Fiona, on the left, is a 21 wk old EE who squated for me today!!! Sally, on the right, is a 20 wk old BW Amerucana. I can hardly wait for blue and green eggs!!!

I posted the above picture 11 days ago and today I found my first green egg!!!! Yeah, Go Fiona. Now I can wait for blue eggs
smile.png

WOW! you're egg looks so different from mine! My Barred Rock laid her first today too, and its much smaller and much darker....the variation is so strange...I wonder if, when my other two start laying, their eggs will all look a bit different until they really get going

her second and third eggs were much darker, although not too much smaller.

Wow, Mtnhens, that is a pretty egg! I think you could call her an olive-egger if you wanted to :p

Beautiful Welly you have there Happy Chooks!! They are among my favorite breeds...beautiful eggs and even more beautiful birds..both roos and hens.

Alrighty, I'll join in.

Welsummer pullet, 23 1/2 weeks. Eagerly awaiting her egg as she's the first from my breeding. I just hope and pray the egg is as beautiful as she is. Saw her "investigating" the nest box this morning.
fl.gif

IMG_3819.jpg

I have barnevelders too, but they're only 13 weeks, so I have a ways to go for them!

Back
Top Bottom