First Egg Countdown

Hi, I posted my chickens a few weeks ago when their faces were just turning red. Here are the "closest to laying" ones. They are 18 1/2 weeks old! Booo, Had to buy more eggs today. Every time I buy eggs, I think....this could be the last time I have to buy eggs! Hopefully I will have eggs soon!!! My best hopefuls for my first egg are the Barred Rock, Domino and the Rhode Island Red, Red. They are getting pretty red faced! Here they are enjoying an old apple served up on a frozen watermelon rind!

This is my EE, Milly. She actually has been sort of red faced for weeks, but her comb is finally filling out. She is also 18.5 weeks old. My other pullets still have "fleshy colored" combs. No swatting yet.....I am thinking within the next two weeks!!! ?????

I will also join in. I have a mixed flock of 8 chickens that are all 15 weeks old. I have a leghorn, a red sex link, a black sex link, a EE, a black austrolorp, a buff orpington, and a rhode island red. I don't think any of them are real close to laying as their combs are just starting to turn red. I haven't witnessed any squatting either.

My family has all made a guess on the date that we will have our first egg. We all guessed right around the 20 week mark so we still have a month left. I do still look every day just in case.

We have 5 hens, all 18 weeks tomorrow. We have 1 Leghorn, 1 Wyandotte, 1 Red Sex Link, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Easter Egger. Our Sex link laid her first egg 4 days ago! Still waiting on the rest. The Wyandotte and Leghorn look like they might be laying soon, but the Orpington and Easter Egger are probably a few weeks out still. Here are a few pics:

Bobby, she's a girl, but my 10yo son named her. . .

Scout

Athena, the laying queen.
smile.png

Goldie

Annie

The first egg!!!
woot.gif
Tiny, but so fun!

Another egg today,
celebrate.gif

It was from one of the golden comets, my son saw her lay it in the nest box. The laying pullet looks just like Asligting's Athena. I will see if I can get a picture of her tomorrow. She has three hatch mates, I hope they also gong to get with the program
fl.gif

I have bunches of people asking if I "have any eggs yet?" I am saying "no" for now, as they are too good to share.
smack.gif

I am back at this thread with our February chicks - 2 that were hens - and now waiting for the first egg - 23 weeks and counting. We have one black copper marans and one silkie. No egg yet
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom