First Egg! :D

Congrats on your first egg. We have 24 BR pullets who were 20 weeks old last Sunday and we just got our first egg today
too! It was a small one but from what I understand that is not unusual for the first 'attempts'.

I'm jealous of all your first egg stories. I can't wait for my first egg. The girls are 17 weeks old. I have 3, each a different breed so I will have 3 different colored eggs. It will be easy to tell which one lays the first egg.

Got my first egg 5 days ago. I have gotten one 4 of the last 5 days. They are small but good! Its one of the 2 RIRs that are 22 weeks. My 3 BOs will be 17 weeks Tuesday. Should have lots of eggs soon. Its a lot of fun!

87031_4ded78233b952jmm-hardass-to-follow-vol2_03mp4-11.jpg

Quote:
ONe of mine started laying a week ago today in this horrible Tulsa, Oklahoma heat. She was 18 weeks 2 days old. They are all 19 weeks today. Since the first egg, I've gotten 3 more good eggs, and one that had no shell and was laid from the roost. Not sure if I now have more than one laying, or they've all been from the same hen. If they're from the same one, she's been pretty inconsistent by skipping a couple days. But, I've gotten 2 over the past 2 days, so maybe she fired up the internal engine and it will stay running!!

I'm kinda leaning towards thinking that this heat like we're experiencing affects mature chickens that are on more of a regular laying schedule and not so much pullets coming into maturity. (I could be totally wrong, but who knows)

Are your chickens squating at all? When you try to pet or touch them, do they FREEZE and squat?

Congrats!!! I was doing my routine feeding and checking on my girls this morning...and lo and behold....my first egg!!! My girls are 19 weeks and 2 days and I have been waiting and waiting!!

We can all celebrate now!!
big_smile.png

I'm a newbie to chicken raising, and my husband never really kept track of egg laying with his new hens ... our flock is 1 day shy of 16 weeks and no eggs yet, but the roos have been actively mating with them for a good three weeks - is it normal for the roos to be so far ahead?

We weren't going to keep any roos (but I fell for the sweet, handsome guys) so I didn't look into how early the males start mating, I figured it was an immediate thing since hens can lay eggs everyday??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom