First egg from my Amerucana - x2!

Eristas

Chirping
Jun 1, 2020
My Amerucana hen (Eowyn) just laid her first green egg today! She is just over 5 months old. I have two ISO Browns of the same age that have been laying for a couple of weeks now but this was her first egg.

I went out to collect eggs at 8:30 this morning and there were 2 brown eggs as usual. All good.

A little while later there was some ruckus and noise from Eowyn and I found her in the coop with a new green egg under her! Lovely, well done little chicky. :)

However, she still seemed a bit agitated and I dare say broody the way she was arranging a nest in the coop. About an hour later I hear quite a bit of squawking so I go out to check, and what do I find? ANOTHER green egg under Eowyn in the nest!! It was still warm and she had obviously just laid it.

I hope my little lady will be ok after her very big day!

UPDATE: Now my buff orpington hen just squeezed out her first egg too! All my ladies are laying now!!! :love

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
That's awesome!! Such a pretty green! Mine are an army green colour. I thought I got my first egg this afternoon, as I heard the egg song and my daughter found an egg, but I thought it was odd that it was cold. My hen was still antsy and seemed like she needed to lay. So I locked her in the coop because she laid the first egg under my deck.
Very shortly after I heard the egg song again and there was an egg! So we must have gotten the first one yesterday!

Attachments

• 1000007697.jpg
    1000007697.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 16
That's awesome!! Such a pretty green! Mine are an army green colour. I thought I got my first egg this afternoon, as I heard the egg song and my daughter found an egg, but I thought it was odd that it was cold. My hen was still antsy and seemed like she needed to lay. So I locked her in the coop because she laid the first egg under my deck.
Very shortly after I heard the egg song again and there was an egg! So we must have gotten the first one yesterday!
Congratulations! That’s a beautiful green color!

My Amerucana hen (Eowyn) just laid her first green egg today! She is just over 5 months old. I have two ISO Browns of the same age that have been laying for a couple of weeks now but this was her first egg.

I went out to collect eggs at 8:30 this morning and there were 2 brown eggs as usual. All good.

A little while later there was some ruckus and noise from Eowyn and I found her in the coop with a new green egg under her! Lovely, well done little chicky. :)

However, she still seemed a bit agitated and I dare say broody the way she was arranging a nest in the coop. About an hour later I hear quite a bit of squawking so I go out to check, and what do I find? ANOTHER green egg under Eowyn in the nest!! It was still warm and she had obviously just laid it.

UPDATE: Now my buff orpington hen just squeezed out her first egg too! All my ladies are laying now!!! :love
I just got my first eggs yesterday and today... it is so exciting!!

I just got my first egg two days ago and a shell-less one today. Hoping for another regular tomorrow. Did you crochet your egg basket? I would love to purchase the pattern for it

Back
Top Bottom