First Egg Hatching Attempt - Unsuccessful

its not that hard but everything is taking really slow. i will try to explain, the one that looks like it piped inside, there are 2 membranes. one just under the shell and one surrounding the chick where the air sack is, you must find something short and sharp. i use a sharp screw. disinfect everything you use. make a small pip on the outside small end where the air sack is.if you are careful you can avoid the membrane but if you open it its ok. you should see movement or hear the chick if it has piped inside. if it hasnt but it is alive put the smallest piece of scotch tape over the hole, if it has piped we can go ahead and start the hatch. with me so far?

its not that hard but everything is taking really slow. i will try to explain, the one that looks like it piped inside, there are 2 membranes. one just under the shell and one surrounding the chick where the air sack is, you must find something short and sharp. i use a sharp screw. disinfect everything you use. make a small pip on the outside small end where the air sack is.if you are careful you can avoid the membrane but if you open it its ok. you should see movement or hear the chick if it has piped inside. if it hasnt but it is alive put the smallest piece of scotch tape over the hole, if it has piped we can go ahead and start the hatch. with me so far?

Yep, sure am!

ok if everything looks good with the pip then you want to use your screw to open the shell above where the chick is. if you see blood ,stop put it back in the bator and wait a couple hours. there are blood veins surrounding the chick and that is the last thing to disappear before hatch if all is good take half the shell off above the chick working like they would but not as close. once that is gone moisten the 2nd membrane with a damp warm paper towel. if it doesnt wiggle out on its own take your towel and stretch the membrane away from its beak to make the hole bigger. if it is strong enough it will come the rest of the way on its own. dont pull the back of the egg off. the umbilical is there and more than likely still attached it will do it on its own. there are alot of help videos on here and i would find one with pics before you start. they also show what the egg should look like too and a lot of people dont recommend helping because if they cant do it on their own their not strong chicks to begain with. and this is true in some cases. but i have assisted in about 20 hatches and the chicks were good except for 3 or 4

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and helped. None of my chicks survived to hatch. I did do an eggtopsy of them. All were fully developed. The membranes seemed very dry to me. Some were not positioned correctly. I did not see any pips through the membrane, except for one.

I am going to see if I can find a good thermometer and hydrometer and maybe try again.

So I had 2 dozen shipped chick eggs in the bator which turned out so bad!! We had 2 chicks hatch on day 21 and a 3rd pipped but didn't make it out the shell :(
And that's it!! Nothing going on with the remaining 21 eggs
1f629.png

We candled a few times and saw movement and veins and everything in almost all of them. We did have 1 or 2 that were too dark to see inside and one exploded in the bator. I'm wondering what went wrong?!! Temp never sky rocketed but I don't have a gauge to measure humidity. We candled the eggs today (day 23) and the air cell is at the pointy end of the egg and there's no movement whatsoever. Can anyone tell me what went wrong?

Back
Top Bottom