First egg!!! How long until I can leave them?

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
This morning my muscovy female FINALLY laid an egg!!! She is about 8 months old. It was very small but I know that is normal at first.
celebrate.gif

I have read that eggs are usually not fertile at first because they are small.

How long until you think I should wait until I leave them with her and hope for broodiness ( I want some ducklings)?

Last edited:
I updated to ask how long until I should start leaving them in the nest. Should I just mark the little ones and leave them til she starts to set? (Hopefully anyway)

I take away the first 2 weeks of eggs because those usually aren't the best for hatching.

I updated to ask how long until I should start leaving them in the nest. Should I just mark the little ones and leave them til she starts to set? (Hopefully anyway)

Mark and date the eggs and if she lays an excessive amount before going broody, remove the oldest. I never removed any eggs and generally had 100% hatches from my muscovies.

Thanks. I know I have read of different things to mark eggs with but what is best so it doesn't come off? Sharpie?

I read someone saying the other day not to mark them with sharpie because it goes through the shell. I can't remember what they said to use though.. shoot, I'll try to think of it.

I read someone saying the other day not to mark them with sharpie because it goes through the shell. I can't remember what they said to use though.. shoot, I'll try to think of it.

I think I may have read the same thing. Hmm..... I know I used pencil with a previous duck that was setting and that was NOT the way to go.

Any other suggestions or things people have tried?

So I got egg #4 this morning and they are finally getting to be duck sized. Not the best pic but you can certainly see the size difference from right to left. I can't wait to have some Muscovy babies!! I am hoping for a good broody.

Back
Top Bottom