First egg of 8 hatched, membrane(?) still stuck to chicken butt. Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fantomas, Jun 25, 2019.

1. fantomas

fantomas Chirping

May 30, 2013
    Connecticut
    First chick hatched about 2 hours ago. This is our first time hatching anything, so maybe like a new parent, we're overly concerned about what we're seeing. It hatched at 5:30 this evening and for the past two hours, its been crawling around with a piece of the egg following it. Most importantly, what is going on? Should we be concerned or will this eventually detach? My wife says it looks like the butt isn't fully formed. Or possibly there's a prolapse. How much longer until we should be concerned?

The other issue, a few of the other eggs, but I don't think them all, have pipped, and the first hatched chick has gone around in circles, rolling all the eggs around, and pushed them against the side of the incubator. Should I open it up and move them away from the sides?

Also, here's a live view of the hatching

Attached Files:

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    Congrats on your chick! It's not unusual for the umbilicus to still be attached like that sometimes; if it's dried up, I take a sanitized pair of manicure scissors or similar instrument and carefully snip the cord so the shell is detached. It will detach by itself on occasion, but I don't like the risk of it being stepped on (and possibly pulling something out) or attracting the attention of other hatchlings. After cutting it, I put a dab of triple antibiotic (without pain reliever) on as a precaution and to aid healing.

Best wishes for a great hatch!

fantomas and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  3. fantomas

fantomas Chirping

May 30, 2013
    Connecticut
    Thanks! How close to the vent should I cut it?

FoodFreedomNow likes this.
  4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Not too close. It should dry up and fall off.

fantomas likes this.
  5. fantomas

fantomas Chirping

May 30, 2013
    Connecticut
    And should I worry about the other eggs that were rolled around?

6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    The first hatchling will usually do that - knock the other eggs around. It looks bad, but the rolled eggs should still be ok. I have had pieces of empty eggshell from previous hatchers get stuck over external pips, and that can be a problem, so I'd just keep an eye out for that scenario. Unless the edges of the incubator pose some kind of risk, I'd leave them where they've settled.

fantomas likes this.
  7. fantomas

fantomas Chirping

May 30, 2013
    Connecticut
    Third one had the same thing stuck to it's butt and egg. Second out was fine though. Is it a humidity problem? I'm going to snip the third one as well because of the other two chicks in there. I don't want them to get tangled up in it.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What is the humidity?

9. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    And how about temps - were they stable? Delayed absorption of the yolk could be associated with temperature issues...did they hatch early or late?

10. NorCalChicks101

NorCalChicks101 Chirping

Mar 30, 2012
    CA- Bay Area

Awesome cam setup! Will be watching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: