FIRST EGG! So excited, but has speckles? Advice?

THANKS!!! such awesome news guys! I was truly holding it and saying out loud “oh my god oh my god! Its here! You would have thought I found a million bucks ;) I kept “saying oh my gosh who did it?!” trying to snuggle them me all to death! couldn’t even pull myself together for 10 minutes!! hahaha!!! thanks for the input guys!!!
Haha! I think we all react like that when we get our first egg!

No worries. A lot of chickens lay speckled eggs. My Welsummers, Marans and Olive Eggers all lay speckled eggs most of the time. It is just part of the pigment layer. Your girl's egg looks perfectly normal. Congratulations! :highfive:
View attachment 1206621
my gosh you’re eggs are beautiful!! When I initially read about Plymouth’s rocks I was expecting to get a solid brown egg so on top of it being my first egg and it feeing like Christmas morning. It was also speckles so it felt like a special surprise!! Thanks for the input! ❤️

THANKS!!! such awesome news guys! I was truly holding it and saying out loud “oh my god oh my god! Its here! You would have thought I found a million bucks ;) I kept “saying oh my gosh who did it?!” trying to snuggle them me all to death! couldn’t even pull myself together for 10 minutes!! hahaha!!! thanks for the input guys!!!
Hahahahaha. You must be my long lost twin!
Congratulations on that beautiful freckled egg!

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.
Since it was the first egg I found, I will definitely keep an eye out on the next few to see any changes. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom