First egg - tiny

aequidens42

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2015
My bantam cross laid her first egg today (she's about 5.5 months old). But the egg is tiny, even smaller than her mother's (mother is a bantam, father a Rhode Island Red).

Are they likely to get bigger as she gets older? I can't remember now how small my other hen's eggs were. There were never other ages or breeds to compare with, I guess.

(in the pic the bigger egg is from a 3+ year old
P1150542.JPG
Plymouth Rock)

Yea. I just did a google search and discovered it is in the typical range of bantam eggs (34g). I also weighed all the eggs I had in the fridge and discovered my typical egg is extra-large.

The 1st eggs produced by any newly laying pullet are generally considerably smaller than the average egg size for the given breed. The size and frequency of eggs increases over the next several weeks. There can even be times where a bird will lay several tiny eggs one whopper of an egg back to tiny eggs a few medium eggs eventually everything evens out.

The 1st eggs produced by any newly laying pullet are generally considerably smaller than the average egg size for the given breed. The size and frequency of eggs increases over the next several weeks. There can even be times where a bird will lay several tiny eggs one whopper of an egg back to tiny eggs a few medium eggs eventually everything evens out.
Good to know the's still hope for slightly bigger eggs (I have yet to puzzle out chicken genetics, so I don't know if a cross is more likely to be bantam, RIR or in between in size)

The 1st eggs produced by any newly laying pullet are generally considerably smaller than the average egg size for the given breed.

I got my first wind egg ( so cute) a few weeks ago and figured the chickens were through with that since the eggs have been great- good size and weight (I like the big girls). Today I get two wind eggs. How long does this usually go on? I have only been keeping chickens a few years but never got a wind egg before- now, I get these.

Attachments

• Wind eggs 3.2018.png
    Wind eggs 3.2018.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
It's odd, all of our birds laid close to normal size or normal sized eggs right when they started laying, but every now and then our 9 month EE lays an itty bitty egg. It's weird but she seems healthy, and the chooks love when I cook up a tiny egg for them.

Back
Top Bottom