First Egg was soft shelled!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MindyNE, Jul 30, 2014.

1. MindyNE

MindyNE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Nebraska
    I have 2 barred rocks and one buff orph. One of my barred rocks laid 3 small perfect eggs (1 each day)so far and seems to be taking a few days off but my buff orph squatted by the door to the coop tonight and laid a small soft shelled egg with no yolk. I tried to get it out quickly but not before one of the other chickens had started pecking at it and broke it open. Should I be concerned about her eating eggs in the future and is this normal for a first egg for a buff orph?

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Yep, normal. My BO has been laying for over two months now and still lays the occasional soft-shelled egg. It just takes a while for the egg factory to get everything right [​IMG]

As far as the egg-eating goes, it's unlikely that this one event will cause you to have a flock of egg-eaters. My thoughts are that this was just a case of "Wow! What's that?!" and curiosity getting the better of her. I doubt it will be an issue going forward.

If you want to add a little extra security you could try putting some ceramic or plastic eggs into their nests. Not only do these encourage laying in the appropriate place, but they also discourage egg-pecking. The idea behind them is that they will peck the plastic eggs, realise there is nothing nice to eat inside them, and therefore not bother pecking at the real eggs.

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by