First Egg!!! Whoo hoo!!! (pics added)

Congratulations!!!!!! I know you are egg cited as I was too on May 5 th when I got my first eggs!!!!! Way to go!!!!!

I was just starting to wonder if I would ever see an egg! Even DH is beside himself and has already planned an omelet for dinner tomorrow when we (hopefully) have four eggs... I can't wait!! :D

Yay!   How old are your girls?

I got them when they were supposed to be five weeks old. I think one is younger (Minik on the far left in the photo) as she has always been smaller...she still has that skinny teenager look of a pullet. The two who laid today should be just squeaking under the wire for 18 weeks old. I can't even imagine how it must feel to hatch the eggs out and raise them... Plus, it would be nice to know their hatch date.

WOO HOO! Its always exciting when they lay their first eggs. I didnt even want to eat them, I wish I could have petrified them or something like that Especially the silkie egg, it was SO cute!!!

I am the opposite: I wanted to cook them up today! But I did send photos to the whole family...hah ha! If ome had been especially notable, I probably would save it... Even though these are "special" for being first, they are not small enough to be cute, big enough to be extaordinary, an unusual color...etc...

You can save a special egg!

I explained this in another thread: a tiny drill or a pin makes a hole in both ends of the egg. A toothpick or long pin pierces the membranes inside and then you can blow out the edible stuff and wash and save the egg. This is the first step for making Ukrainian Easter eggs for saving.

Congrats!! I got my first eggs about two weeks ago and was feelin pretty proud of our birds lol. I wasn't even home when it happened either, I was visiting the wife and kids while they were at her parents house. While I was up there her dad had one of his hens lay for the first time (same batch as ours) so I was thinking about it the whole time, even made sure to get some hay for them to lay in. When I got home I was pleasantly surprised to find 7 eggs in their nesting boxes without hay. Took them out and put hay in, now I'm getting about 2-3 eggs a day, and I eat 2 every morning before work, lol.

I caught this one in action this morning and the egg looks like it'll be a double-yoker, if it is then it'll be the third double-yoke egg in ten days of laying.

Wow! In the top picture, the bottom left nest box, the egg all the way to the left is HUGE!!! Is those the ones that tend to have double yolks? Your hen looks like my Annie... Gold sex link? I was surprised by how dark one of my eggs was today: I understand they get paler as they lay more, is that right? Congrats to you, TOO!

Back
Top Bottom