First Egg!

Ashneel08

Hatching
Dec 14, 2015
Hey guys. Just posting on the fact that I received my first egg today on new year's day! It was also a decent sized egg, considering it was first. However, I am trying to figure out what is the difference between a commercial chicken breed and a heritage breed? I believe my hens are brown shavers/hy-line but does this mean they fall under the commercial breed as they are predominately egg layers?

Cheers,
Ashneel

Yes, yours would be considered commercial or hybrid layers... many birds are cross bred for laying more eggs per year, hy-lines are one of those... Heritage breeds are purebreds that *I believe* originate from within your own country...

wee.gif

Welcome to BYC, Ashneel. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations! It's always so egg-citing to get that first egg. :eek:) Your hens are hybrids rather than true breeds. Hy-line is a brand name and Brown Shaver is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries (including Hy-line) market their Red Sex Links which are produced by crossing red gene roosters (RIRs, NHs, or PRs) with silver gene hens (RIWs, SLWs, Delawares, LSs, or silver factor WPRs). Not only can the offspring be sexed by color from hatching (males are whitish, females are reddish) but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Happy New Year.

Back
Top Bottom