First egg!

First egg! Never been so excited for an egg! Not sure which of my girls it came from, but they are right on time just turned 24 wks today :wee:yesss:

Attachments

• IMG_4853.JPG
    IMG_4853.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 39
Yes I have a blue splash Maran which I think is probably the layer I also have some black copper marans and lavender orpingtons

It looked marans All my Marans are Black copper . I cross them with GLWs and have a lavender orp. roo with some marans pullets going to see what they look like and how they grow . Hybrids tend to grow out faster than pure breeds.
I have a young lavender orp roo also he was supposed to be a she but he was a nice surprise. We also a couple lavender females so we'll be able to get more true lavender chicks without having to purchase them question... Do you house your roo's offspring (when old enough) with all your other hens and him or keep them housed separate from him?

Don't think for a second that the exciting needs to end with the first one you find...but congrats on that one...and..when you have older hens that get up in the years like some of my older girls are....the first egg they lay in the Spring when the days get longer (I don't use extra light during winter) are really something special when the hens are 8 years old...keeping them laying longer, has a lot to do with what you decide in regards to supplemental lighting and the longevity of laying...just sayin is all.
Keep havin fun.

bigz

Back
Top Bottom